Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

More exposure

14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you for pointing out the positive, this is a key exercise and very important in your daily routine!

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I know I need to push myself a little harder or I will never be driving like I used to. 

I just drove to the store, about a mile in traffic and it wasnt very good. Some days are better than others.

I did have a cup of coffee this morning, something I quit over a month ago.

Im still scared to venture very far, especially alone, but I know at some point I will have to.

I need to make it a point to, nightly reciew this program. If I dont take a more proactive role in this, it may never happen.

I do need to give myself a little credit though, when I first joined this site, I wasnt shopping well, in a dark pit and barely getting by.

Today, I'm very active, trying hard to move on, taking good care of myself and now shopping for the house.

14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Lance,

Thanks for sharing.  It is important to work step by step through the program.  you can schedule in some time every night to focus on exposure or getting more knowledge regarding your panic. Do take the anxiety test and take a copy to your doctor.  this can help assess the situation for your both.

It doesn't happen over night, but it will happen!

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lance

I think the escalator thing is motion. Your mind will try to block out everything when you are bordering on panic. Eg. the lack of focus. So part of you knows you are moving but your mind won't let it through. This happens with people in traffic. They know there are other vehicles out there but they get tunnel vision.  The only cure is exposure. (study the part of the program covering this. The escalater will be easier than driving. Riding the LRT takes the control out of your hands and there is lots of things to focus on.Eg. do you have more trouble when it's empty? What I would do with the escalator is ride it up and focus on how it works, check out every movment it makes like you are really interested in it, Don't let your mind block it out. Make it a game. Say well that was fun when you get to the top. Remenber no one is interested in you so you can do this as many times as it takes. Remember exposure. You have to conquer it and then it will just fade away.  And remember you can always take the stairs down if you have to. Oh by the way, the bus is probably motion also. It would be for me, I know. If you look around, the people staring out the window or at the floor are probably having as much trouble as you.  I'm concerned about your lack of focus, you don't mention medication, If your on it, I'm not saying quit, just understand that it can be part of the problem and you will just have to try harder. You do want to get better don't you?  I'm a success but it didn't happen overnight, there were lots of set backs but I won.  "I WON, I WON" and so can you!
Good luck, keep posting.
Davit.
14 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Years ago, my first panic attack was while driving, so naturally I continued having problems with driving. This has been the biggest challenge. In fact the single most thing that messed up my life. Recently riding the link light rail has really bothered me as well as using escalators. Why I dont know. So I decided instead of taking the bus downtown every day to ride the light rail. I dont know if its my other changes or the exposure, but I dont have hardly any anxiety riding it now. It was so bad on past trips I was just shaking. I dont understand the escalator though and have yet to get on one.

I havn't done well at following this program, like many other things in my life, I just do it part of the way. I have so many things I begin and just dont seem to follow through and I dont know why. The panic program I got, I should read it more. Literature from the therapist and others. I just cant stay focused. I wish I knew why. I am so easily distracted and lose interest. Any thoughts?

Reading this thread: