Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

worried about going to jury duty

14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lee,

Thanks for sharing your successes with other members here. That is such great news!

It really sounds like you were able to optimize the coping strategies that you have found useful in the past. And how great is it to know that by the end of the day, you were actually enjoying yourself!

Don't forget to recognize the successes you have had these past few days. Rewards are a great way to feel good about your accomplishments. Any ideas in mind?

Please continue to post and let us know how you are doing.

Sarah, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to give an update about the Jury Duty on 7/14/09.... I didn't sleep well the night before (surprise)  but I am happy to report that I did not have a panic attack, YaY... I was thinking about the responses to the post, as well as I took my book with me and distracted myself as much as possible, I also tried to conversate with some of the other juror's which helped a great deal.  I actually enjoyed it by the end of the day. There is hope!!  Thanks for the help Don and Ashley!!
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lee,

This will be a great opportunity for challenging yourself.  Have you talked to your doctor or counselor about July 14th?

First of all visualization works wonders.  Every night before you go to bed imagine yourself in the court room.  Imagine yourself being calm and relaxed watching the proceedings. If you feel anxious while doing this try deep abdominal breathing.  If necessary imagine yourself in a calm place (where ever you feel safe and at home) When ready try visualizing yourself in the courtroom again.

When in the courtroom what Don suggested is great.  Try to focus on other things. Also, do abdominal breathing, in other words, breath with your belly and not your chest. Lastly, whenever you think of it try to tense and relax every muscle in your body.  Slowly work your way down your body. Don't worry nobody will be able to see that you are doing this.  The muscle tightening and relaxing along with the abdominal breathing will relax your body.  It is hard to have an anxious mind when your body is relaxed. 

You can do this Lee! We know you can.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lee,
Not sure if this helps in any way, but unless you have a specific fear of the court room, or fear of a judge, etc.  my experience is that court proceedings are usually very boring. It's not like TV dramas at all.  Due to my profession, I was in criminal court once, I was terrified, as it was my first experience on the stand, etc. but overall I have to say it was very boring after a minute or two.  Depending on the case you may even find it a bit interesting and actually start to relax.  Try to focus on the case and not focus on your anxiety.  I challenge you to look forward to jury duty as a new experience, not a fearful one! I'll be thinking of you on the 14th!! Let us know how it went and we can all learn!

14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

On July 14, I have to go to Jury Duty and I am worried  I will have a panic attack in the court room.... Please help me with some coping skills for that day.  I am going to bring the challenging questions with me, so I can keep talking to myself. But I need help on not focusing so much on this stupid anxiety.  I seem to be in a contant state of anxiety lately.  Please help

Thanks Lida

Reading this thread: