Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,668 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

driving in a busy place

15 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

im actually finding it easier gradually to drive in busier places by just calming myself down and being in the car with people and listening to music.very helpful. 

x

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Karla,
What is it about your bedroom that makes you feel panicky?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I no this sounds really weird but i dont have a safe zone anymore, not even at home!! loads of bad stuff has happened hear and i suppose i cant get it totally out of my head even tho it ws a cuple of years ago and have a new partner, my bedroom is my worst fear. i get really panicky. its sooo horrible. i really would like to move but that does not seem possible. i have tried your theory but it just hasnt worked. it does 4 a while and then i get really scared and  think i dont want one and it all comes on at once. did it work straight away for you??? 
15 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Karla try challenging your thoughts at home first then you are in a "safe zone".  When I challenge I just say ok start panicking I keep telling myself come on panic (instead of saying don't panic, this is terrible, I can't do this...) it does work because you actually won't panic, it's the saying no to the panic that gets your body in panic mode....it's weird but it helps a whole bunch, it just won't come on if you tell it to...strange but true :)
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
karla,   Challenging your thoughts can be a difficult process. Do not give up! These do not have to be elaborate  challenges but perhaps for 5 or 10 minutes everyday until you become fully comfortable with the idea.
  Start with simple questions such as, "Is this true 100% of this time?" and "What have I done in this past when I have encountered these thoughts?" Soon you will feel confident enough to fully challenge yourself. Continue to work through the problem as well to gain a full understanding of these negative thoughts and what you can do in future situations.
      Members, what are some other ways you have challenged your negative thoughts in the past?

Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Karla,

What I write to you I wish someone had done for me about 13 years ago-I started the planning of back roads to get to work so I could easily pulled into someone's driveway and they could call an ambulance (which never happened- I might have had to pull over for awhile), but the plans happened at restaurants, I wanted the check as soon as the meal arrived in case I needed to flee with an attack, grocery stores, it started to spread to other areas I went. Then some anxiousness would occur and a new plan would be set in action, I didn't see it happening, not even my husband, but I was limiting my boundaries ever so slightly and over the years that I became agoraphobic. If this is the one thing I could go back and change early on..this would be the defining moment for me.    

no i have never challenged them because i do not want to embaress myself and have never had the courage to. and seem to be to depressed at the mo. maybe people givin me there opnions on the subject will help as readin other stories does help.

thanks

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Karla,   Everyone that experiences panic, experiences them for different reasons. A trigger is a trigger, but because you're afraid of panic attact while driving in a busy place doesn't mean that you will have one.  You can't avoid this situation for ever. Try small and slow, you can also try going with a friend the first few times.   Members, have you challenged your thoughts and over come a fear?     Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator

i am driving to a really busy place in london tommorow and i am dreading it already, i have planned my route round the back ways as if i go through the centre you cannot stop jus incase i have a attack. does anyone else feel like this?

and have they overcome this as i no im bringing it on myself by worrying about it already. also my home doesnt feel like it anymore think i need to move as this is where my panic attacks are, does anyone else feel like this at home?

Reading this thread: