Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

panic at work

15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya,

You got great advice already! I agree that thought challenging is your best tool. The ten questions you were given really help! Let us know if it helps!
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 cdog,

It can sometimes be difficult to change your mindset or your way of thinking. However, challenging your negative thoughts can often help.   Below are ten questions you may find helpful in challenging your anxious thoughts:

The following ten questions will help you to challenge any anxious thoughts. When you have an anxious thought, answer some of these 10 questions:

1. Is it "true"?
2. How do I know it’s true?
3. Is it 100% true? (remember something that is 75% or 99% true is  
    not 100% true)
4. What's the evidence for it being true?
5. What’s the evidence against it being true?
6. Has it ever happened before?
7. What's different now?
8. If it were true, how bad would it really be?
9. What's the worst thing that could happen?
10. If the worst thing happened, how bad would it really be?

Members, please feel free to add any tips or strategies you find helpful when trying to challenge your anxious thoughts.     Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi cdog, and welcome to the forums by the way!

I totally know that feeling of "Am I going to be able to make it through the day?" But what I find helps is to remember that, contrary to the way you worded it, it's not actually a situation that causes anxiety, it's your (perhaps subconscious) reaction to a situation. My therapist is always reminding me of this. Millions of people the world over face work days, health problems, and all the other things that frighten us, without anxiety all the time. This proves it is not the situation that causes the anxiety, but our specific reactions to it. I really find that it helps to think that way, and try to challenge my thoughts before they begin telling me untrue things!

Good luck! :)

15 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ok everyone. im about 95% clear of attacks. there is just one thing i cant shake! i get the nervous, anxious,naucius feeling as soon as i get up for work in the morning. i like work (or liked it before this started happening this week) but for some unknown reason im panicky all day until i can leave. my questions is what can i do to change my mindset? i know that this is the situation that causes the anxiety but i dont know how to get over it. i get that feeling of "oh no, am i going to be able to make it through the day?" that was identified in section 1. any suggestions?

Reading this thread: