Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Working up to something

16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Claire, You can work up slowly to almost anything! For driving I would suggest the following baby steps... 1) Visualize yourself sitting in the car, starting it, driving it, coming home safely. 2) Actually sit in the car, start it, drive it out of the driveway only and increase the distances progressively. For taking vitamins... 1) Talk to your doctor & ask questions 2) Talk to your pharmacist & ask questions 3) Talk to other people who have taken this medication (Support group members ;)) 4) Practice with "fake pills" such as frozen peas. Practice the act of swallowing the "pill" 5) Practice holding the pill in your mouth 6) Take the pill Don't forget to use your thought challenging tools & distractions as you go along. You can also adjust these according to your preference of needs. Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Claire, I just posted up a discussion about my exposure planning too. Have you seen the exposure plan example for driving in session 4? I think following those steps small amounts at a time should help. Are you having difficulty swallowing meds or just taking them in general?
16 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So I'm just getting started on exposure work, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how to manage exposure in situations where you can't really work up to it. I have panic attacks almost exclusively under two conditions - driving and taking any sort of medication or supplement. How do you work up to taking a vitamin? Or work up to driving when it's only happening in the midst of driving? Any suggestions would be most welcome. - Claire

Reading this thread: