Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

ridiculously scared of having a drink

17 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know EXATCLY how you feel.I went out on my birthday for a short period of time because being alone would have made me feel even worse..So I took 10mgs of Valium(I am not on a daily med right now because ive used all my resaurces as far as they go and none worked).The valium has a strong effect for around 3 hours so we went to a club..my friend orderd me a Soda and I could not for the whole entire night take a drink of it.Being very thirsty from dancing I still couldnt make myself take sip.At one point I put the straw to my mouth and just sucked up a tiny drop and swallowing it was out of the question I had to just kind of hold it in my mouth and let it go down with my saliva.I started thinking I was insane..but then my doctor told me that my anxiety of everything includes eating drinking and smoking cigarettes in a public place.I have found if I carry my own bottle of water I can simply excuse myself from the building/house(using going outside for a smoke as an excuse) has helped this dramatically.
17 years ago 0 69 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
yeah I can't drink for the same reasons.. It is just toooo scary for me
17 years ago 0 799 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi members, As you can see, you are not alone in feeling this relationship between alcohol and increased panic symptoms. As Danielle mentioned above, take advantage of the program steps to help you challenge your feelings with this issue. Casey ______________________________ The Panic Center Support Team
17 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How bizaree I have the exact same thing! I used to love drinking and go out to pubs and bars all the time but right now even one sip makes me feel dizzy. When that first started i tried to just drink through it until I was drunk but my anxiety would kick in the next morning in a big way. I would suggest doing what other people have said, don't make alcohol a big deal whatsoever, if it is around our you're in a pub then get a soft drink and an alcoholic drink and sip the alcoholic on really slowly or try to have a tiny amount of wine with your dinner each day so you start to build up a tolerance to it and if you feel okay have a little more. I do think that a lot of boozing makes anxiety and panic so much worse so I'm happy to lay off drinking for a while but I do miss it and I hope I can build up to enjoying a few glasses of wine again
17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Im the same. although i have a reason. my first panic attack was through drink, now if i see drink i freak, i hate seeing people drunk and refuse to even smell alcohol, i hate it, i think its deadly! but i dont miss it. i like the fact that i dont drink! to be honest, i was a terrible drunk at like 16! i make a fool of myself and only need one sip to be off ma face! people tell me its refreshing to se someon who doesnt drink! Becci x
17 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi anewsanta! That is so wierd that you mentioned this because I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM lol. I cannot take any alcohol cause i'm soooo afraid that something might happen to me. Every time i drink some (which is just a tiny tiny tiny sip) i feel some reaction in my body right away. My heart beats much faster (palpatations) and my breathing gets heavier. Its really annoying. I dont' know weather this is a real reaction to alcohol or if the symptoms of drinking alocohol remind me of anxiety!!! Mind you, I didn't drink alcohol before this anxiety/panic.......i never really loved the taste of it. But now, i just wish i can have a nice glass of wine with my fiance or family or friends. Its like they all make fun of me now cause i dont' drink. I really dont' know what to do about this. anyhow, just wanted to let u know that i feel the same way! Danielle, you pointed out some great tips, i will try that. Thank you!!!! If anyone else has any comments, post awayyyy! lol
17 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi anewsanta, Wow - I have the exact same problem. I used to be a big wine lover. Now I can't bring myself to drinking a single glass. I think my fear started when I tried some pot last year (bad idea.) I wanted to try it because I heard it can help some people with anxiety attacks. Well, I guess I had too much, and everything became fuzzy. I started to hyperventilate and had a bad panic attack. I couldn't control my breathing because I was having trouble counting to 10. The worse part was that the effects lasted for over 6 hours. Ever since then, I can't bring myself to drinking any alcohol, or taking any drug that can alter my state of mind (painkillers, anaesthetic, etc.) This is devastating to me, as I think I will need surgery very soon for my wisdom teeth! My advice to you, try drinking a half a glass of wine today. It takes 1 hour to metabolize one drink, so if you panic, you can expect it to last only a half hour.
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anewsanta, Feeling a loss of control during a panic attack has been reported by those with panic disorder. Have you ever felt this way? Could it be possible you've associated that feeling and panic with alcohol consumption because it lowers inhibitions? Start challenging those thoughts. You could also try visualising yourself in the presence of others consuming alcohol and rate your anxiety. Once you've managed to keep your anxiety to a low level while visualizing this scenario, raise the bar, try visualizing yourself in the presence of others with an alcoholic drink in your hand and repeat the previous steps. Keep this going until you've work your way slowly towards being in this situation again. It may take some time before you become comfortable in this situation again but just take it one day at a time, you'll get there. Don't forget to keep working through our program, it will also help you learn more about panic disorder and it's effects on you. Do any other members have advice for anewsanta? Good luck, keep us posted. Danielle _________________________________ The Panic Center Support Team
17 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
this might seem a little silly to some, but it is actually a big deal to me, that i cannot get over it. when i go to a friends house, or out to a restaurant and want to have a glass of wine or a beer, something inside of me is paralyzed with fear that if i even take one sip i will not be able to breathe and things will escalate out of control...full fledged panic attack. this bothers me so much that i cannot get a grip with this. i used to be able to have a beer or two and just relax, now even the thought makes me tense up. why does the thought of possibly losing a little control automatically make me think i will stop breathing? anyone ever had a similar experience? any advice would be awesome..

Reading this thread: