Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,786 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

What has helped me the most

18 years ago 0 189 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cool Warren! Thats' exactly what I'm talking about. Instead of freaking out when the unreality feelings came, you just accepted it and went with it. Things get easier when we stop running from it and facing it.
18 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Guys The worst symptom I think is that unreality feeling. You know that feeling where everything around is familiar but some how different and you think that your right about ready to loose it. I use to just hate that symptom It use to get me very nervous and a lot of the time it happent when I was talking to someone, which made me even more nervous cause I thought that they would be able to tell. What I did to overcome this is I just thought in my mind whenever this symptom arose that all of this is just anxiety. Then I would kinda have fun with the symptom whenever I got it.(I know sounds weird). I knew nothing really serious was happening then whenever I got it so I would just relax and think about how weird it is that I feel that way and look around and think about how weird everything seems in a good way though. Kind of enjoying the weird experience. I hope more people put up their own tips too. Take care you guys.
Your group is sounding more and more interesting to me everytime you mention it. It sounds like they keep you focused. Sometimes when your by yourself with a counselor you can get side tracked with other things (or maybe that's just me ;)) When you have time I love to hear more the topics you have covered.
18 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Alison. I hope lots of folks post their strategies here so we can all learn from each other! For myself, I have realized that if you let yourself feel powerless for too long, it becomes more and more difficult (but never impossible!!) to get control again. So, the only way to get out of that powerless state is to fight back. Face the fear (there is apparently a great book called "Feel the Fear... And Do It Anyways" that I want to get my hands on soon). It's all about challenging ourselves to move, inch by inch, out of our comfort zone, while also learning and analyzing what is causing our fears or physical manifestations of fears, in the first place. I plan to give myself a new goal every single week. Some will be exposure goals like driving alone, taking the kids somewhere alone (which not so long ago was no problem at all for me!), or going to a movie/theatre etc where I tend to feel trapped. Other goals will be to reduce my anxiety and stress by changing the way I think. For example, at our CBT group 2 weeks ago, the facilitators challenged us to stop judging. Apparently this is HUGE among panic and anxiety sufferers. We were raised to judge, critique, analyze, measure, and value things - things that really don't even matter. I am SO like that - I judge people, clothing, the curb appeal of every house I drive by, media stories, hairstyles, etc etc etc. We spend so much energy focussed on critiquing that it translates into major negative emotions, resulting in added anxieties. So we were challenged to not judge for one whole week (well, more like try not to judge and catch ourselves when we did), and instead just be an observer for a week. I worked hard on this one, and it is already making a big difference to my overall state of mind. I feel much more at peace (not perhaps as much at peace as "normal people", but way more so than I usually am). Anyhow, those are my best tips for alleviating anxieties. I hope to see some from other people too! Caitlin
As much as I've hated the advice of 'facing my fears' and 'exposure therapy' and ignored it for several years I have come to the realization that it is what works. When you are in the thick of the anxiety the last thing you want to hear is to face you fears. I ignored that advice for years, kept trying to push the fears away, trying to move on. But I am now seeing that there is no other way but to face your fears and the sooner you do it the sooner this horrid nightmare can come to an end. I am interested to hear what has helped you the most in dealing with your anxieties? Please add your best tactic for dealing with your anxiety!

Reading this thread: