Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Positive Self-Talk

22 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Lauren. Sorry bout your Dad. that must have been a nightmare. I'm new to panic attacks, so I'm learning. Nice to meet you.
22 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone :)I am new member: just joined today. I have been suffering from panic attacks for 5 years starting (on and off): they started after discovering my father dead on his kitchen floor. When my first panic attack started I was put on Paxil and Clonazepam which worked wonders: I was on these drugs for one year/felt better/so went off them. However, periodic panic attacks started to reoccur under stressful situations: I then started taking Ativan 1 mg sublingual which helps immediately. Anyways, panic attacks are awful and everyone's situation is different. I am glad I discovered this venue. Hope to stay in touch here!
22 years ago 0 173 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I can recommend one in particular, called Anatomy of The Spirit, by Carolyn Myss, PH.D. This book sets forth reasons why we are the way we are and explains how to develop the powers we have inside, to our best use. I would recommend the Internet..do a search for 'self-talk, positive' and see what comes up. Also, self-esteem is a topic that is hot today. It is the end result of positive self-talk. Then the best thing to do is go to favorite bookstore, get Latte, and look thru the self-help, philosophy and healing sections. That is my favorite thing to do after looking on the Inet to see what new books are out. Hope this helps. The original book for kids is called "The Little Engine That Could". It is a child's book for the power of positive thinking. The premise is that you can do it, it starts with thinking that you can. Did you grow up with that book? My kids did. Red
22 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red, No - I don't have any books on positive self-talk. Can you reccomend some?
Sara Did your doctor comment on the test results? Did you tell him of your "worries"? Have the 2 of you got a plan of action yet? Did he give you meds? You have to figure out what to do...a course of action...and start. Then when you figure out what is going on there..I will be glad to discuss your "worries"...maybe someone who has been down that road can help. Maybe just discussing it will shed some light on how you can help yourself. Panic disorder leaves one feeling lik they are alone ..or the only one that has it in the whole world. Have you got any self-help books? Red
Hi, Debra If you know something is wrong, why haven't you been to the doc yet? Have you taken the tset here? Red
22 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow - Red's point is definitely interesting and this kind of thing is what I was hoping to get from this board - stuff that will make me think and help ME change MYSELF (although I did go and see my Dr. and brought him the test - he was impressed). I am definitely "The Worrier". I start thinking of things and I know that if I keep thinking about them an anxiety session will come. But when I get on the "worry track" I can't get off. It just gets faster adn faster until I hit the "wall" (i.e. an anxiety attack). I guess my first major task is finding ways to get off the "Worry Track". I would pay a million dollars to someone who could show me how to get off it... I'd mortgage my house. My life is passing me by and hitting the wall slows me down. :(
22 years ago 0 198 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Morning, Do not be afraid of finding out the truth - the decisions you make after that will be pivoting from a place of knowledge, not from the unknown, which, perpetuates fear. Bye for now, Maria
22 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is an interesting discussion. Red I guess I fit into the worrier type at the moment, becuz I'm not quite sure what's wrong and am afriad to find out.
Mr Bubbie, I have something funny to relate, like an "aside", and it has to do with what to do when confronted with the funny feelings you get in your heart..like a stab or flutter, and the resulting panic attack. In 1991, I got Pericarditis, as a side effect of the flu shot that year. I went to the hospital ER, it was misdiagnosed, and I ended up a the carddiologists' office the next day. He was a wonderful young heart expert, right out of Duke Univ. He understood my problems immediately, and recognisecd my illness after many horrible tests. More importantly, he diagnosed my panic disorder and treated me accordingly. I I was put on Indocin and dtayed on that med for the recommended time. During the course of this illness, I used to get this sinking feeling, and the panic followed, leaving me to feel that I was going to die of a heart attack. It was then that he prescribed Xanax for me, and instructed me hos to take it...including carrying some with me at all times. These instructions included carrying a card in my wallet, which I still have, that states I have Panic Disorder. When I asked him what I should do when I get an "attack" he replied. "take a pill, immediately, and then you won't care how bad you feel". It is true..and for the first few days, I noticed that when I took the Xanax, I did not carwe. It worked so well in relieveing my anxiety, that not only did I not care, but the chest pains went away as well. This is panic disorder. It matters very, very much how you feel about it, not just how you act on it. Red

Reading this thread: