Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

New Medication

7 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kendra & Ashley,

I'm new here so please understand I'm still trying to learn the rules (and remember them).

Kendra, just my experience -- I took pristiq (very close to effexor) for many years with good results. My bad though, I went off that med and my ins co wants me on effexor instead. I felt/feel as you do and have not proceeded with that.

Before I say more, I wonder how you're doing with it -- do tell GF.

Good luck with the new school year. 

xo~Suz

7 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,

I haven't changed anything yet. I made an appt to see my dr in 2 weeks. I am just not ready to switch yet. Too many transitions at once, going back to work and going on a new medication. My current medication doesnt really work that well but that is because I am not handling my panic and anxiety well. Medication helps, but ultimately it comes down to my work.

I am really afraid to take the effexor, there are so many bad side effects posted online and apparently its super hard to get off of.

I am panicking a lot this morning. It's my first full day back. I am surfing waves of panic and anxiety now. It's kind of sad because I haven't really had panic attacks for so many years.

I hope your day is a good one,

Kendra

7 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kendra!

I hope you were able to work out your medication switch.  I too had a very hard time with medications and their side effects.  I am currently not on any and wanted to check and see how the effexor worked. That is the next one my doc wants me to try.  The Lexapro was a big NO for me.

Hope you are well!

Hi Ashley,

I have never transitioned off of a medication before. My doctor is not really approachable. He is very old fashioned and what he says goes. 

I am stuck mostly because I am starting back at work, which is stressful, and I never know if my physical symptoms are real or are my nerves. My doctor has told me that most of my sicknesses are due to my anxiety and stress levels. So now I can't tell what is a side effect and what is a genuine sickness.

I am really stuck now. 
7 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kendra,

I am sorry to hear you feel stuck. I am unable to give you advice on medication. Have you talked to your doctor about your concerns? Did he/she offer any suggestions? 

Have you ever transitioned off or onto a new medication before? If so, what was helpful during those experiences.
Ashley, Health Educator
I am looking for advice and maybe some hope. I have struggled with depression and anxiety for many, many years. I have been on citalopram for many years and have found that while it helped with my depression, it didn't help with my anxiety disorder. I just have this anxiousness there all the time and I am getting sick of being afraid all the time.

I have tried to understand why I have this anxiety. I have found that it isn't necessarily situational, there isn't a reason for it, it just is there until I challenge it over and over. It helps a bit I guess but I know I need medication.

I spoke to my doctor and he has prescribed effexor for my anxiety and social anxiety. I am to take citalopram and effexor while decreasing the citalopram to end up ending the citalopram.

The problem is I am afraid to start effexor. What happens if I have horrible side effects? I have been off work for 2 months as I work in a school and I am already nervous about going back next week.

I am worried that have such a big transition and transitioning to new meds might be too much to take at once but on the other hand maybe the effexor might acutally help with my current anxiety! I am stuck. I don't know what to do.

Help!

Kendra

Reading this thread: