Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Being judged

8 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Exposure therapy does not work. I did it for months back in Spring 2014 and was doing much better. I lost it all being housebound with a brutal winter. 

Find me something that works cos a driving phobia remains due to a bad winter.
8 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi MeganIsBack,

It sounds like you are in a tough situation. Working on anxiety is extremely hard, especially when you feel you need more support then what you are receiving. it sounds like you have a few choices in the situation you are in - you can accept it and try to change your perspective, work on your anxiety and complete the driving homework daily. You can also refuse to complete the driving homework and deal with the consequences. Or you can try to negotiate with your parents and decide on a different course of action. What do you think is the right option for you? What do you think will be the most helpful in the long run?  In my opinion, exposure to driving would likely be helpful - if you agree, how can you make this exposure more bearable? What do you think will help you?

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Due to a driving phobia/agoraphobia it's been very difficult for me to hold down a job. Now, I loved the last job I had even though it lasted less than a week and it wasn't my fault or my phobia that made it not last. But now my parents are saying they refuse to drive me to a workplace and I am supposed to start job shadowing in another town nowhere close in early November which is coming up. I live with my parents for 6 months and on my own for 6 months. During the winter 6 months I go out with my neighbour when I need to go out. If my parents found that out I am 100% sure they'd tell her to stop helping me. They are very concerned that I won't be able to survive on my own in the winter hence why they are forcing me to go to the library and get a daily written statement or take out a book and if that doesn't work they'll keep pressuring me to go to the store and get pizza dough or what have you like they have been all summer and autumn. 
I am 30. I was more independent at 18 and 19 then now at 30 because of the condition.  I have tried many forms of therapy with people saying it will work and it will cure you to no avail. The medicine seems to only help somewhat but not with my driving phobia. I am being harshly judged for being 30 and living with my parents half of the year including by people who claim they had a driving phobia but I am starting to believe they really did not or had a mild case of it. I can't live on my own, as much as I want to, I can't afford it. And my parents are more concerned with their image and the image of me in others' minds and I can barely afford therapy I pay for it off of a credit card when I really need it (and I need it a lot more than I pay for it). 

Reading this thread: