Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Calming techniques when driving

8 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Had my first panic attack while driving over 20 years ago. Since then, driving has probably been my biggest fear. I actually went several years without driving. I still have to stay in my "safe zone". Take the same routes everyday, always thinking, who can I call that's nearby if I panic. This is the biggest obstacle that I want to overcome. I'd love to be able to jump in the car and take off anywhere without all the negative thoughts.
8 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Order is importand and having no thoughts means no bad thoughts and that is good. 
I still need calming techniques for driving but yes what we think plays a major role.
I sing too.
Listen to a lot of hypnosis before going out, realise a lot of anxiety is rumination and once you do something it's not as bad as you thought, tell yourself you get a treat when home if you accomplish your goal, go out at least 5/7 days.
8 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Driving is a lot more intense than say making a cake yet uses the same thought processes. You can only use six different thoughts at the same time. So making a cake is easy because all you need to remember is the order and the ingredients so it gets done right. If you want to mess it up add in some thoughts that don't belong. The dog is barking, kids are in the way, phone is ringing, you need to answer a text and decide what is for supper. There you go, you are over six thoughts at one time. Something is going to get forgot. Well it is only a cake. 
But driving is more serious. Six thoughts only. Where you are going, what colour is the lights up ahead. who is behind, beside, overtaking. Where do you have to turn. Good so far. but add in noise, thoughts you might be late, thoughts there might not be parking, your cell is ringing and that big one, you don't want to be driving anyway. Have we gone over six, more than likely. So calming isn't what you want but order, and less than six thoughts. Just the ones needed to drive, the rest wait till you are parked. That in itself is calming. But can you do it? Why not, I do. When I drive, I drive with no thoughts except driving. It takes less than six so I can still enjoy the view. 

Davit
8 years ago 0 162 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well...I usually do yoga or listen to guided meditations when I want to calm down....but I don't think those would work while driving.

I think you need to find something that keeps your mind off the fact that you're driving...without taking your attention away from the road.  

I know when I'm driving a long way I listen to my favourite rock-out music and sing and car-dance.  So what if other people are watching....especially when I'm stuck in traffic.  

Or maybe an audio book?
8 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deep abdominal breathing and positive affirmation are my suggestions.

I am interested to hear the suggestions of other members.

I am also interested to hear some of your ideas MeganIsBack.

Ashley, Health Educator
What are some calming techniques when driving?

Reading this thread: