Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Tough Week

9 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wish I could say that I learned anything, but honestly nothing has changed, every day is the same. My husband went out of town to work so my anxiety has been higher. He is my "safe person" Now, he wants to go out for dinner when he comes back in town Friday, but I have not left the house since April and I am afraid he will be upset because I know I won't be able to go. He is tired of me saying no or making excuses not to leave the house.
9 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi EmyC,

I am sorry to hear you had a tough week the other week. How are you feeling today? What do you think you will take away from last week - what did you learn?

Ashley, Health Educator
Thank you Cara for the kind words:)
9 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi EmyC,

I'm sorry your going through this. I was the same way last year, although I kept convincing myself to go out although it was real hard.  Exposure is the key.

I felt anxious all the time...and it taught me how to cope with it and that I can control it and overcome it.  The more you feel the more you learn that it has no hold on you.

I hope I can do it for you, but I can't.  This program works and the people here are awesome! I also finally realized that if I keep worrying about my health, what would happen? Nothing. You can't control when you're going to get sick, so why waste your life worrying about something that could be nothing. I am a big hypochondriac and was diagnosed with health anxiety.  I still get anxious thinking about my health, but what would that do ?  You can't worry about something that you have no control about it.  I finally accepted the "you are healthy" statements from my doctors, after years of thinking that there was something wrong with me.  And you know what?  It helped lessen my anxiety.

I wish you the best of luck, and I know you can do it.  You're stronger than you think you are.

Thank you for the reply Davit, I agree it sounds complicated, but I am willing to try. At this point, I really can't continue the way I'm going. I feel as I'm merely existing and not living.
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
EmyC

It is fine to vent here, good actually. If I give you some theories as to why this is happening do you think you could use them to change your thought patterns. Knowledge is power and you can't fix something with out knowing why it is broke. There is a reason behind everything and in this case they are simple reasons with profound affects as you have well witnesses. They are also cumulative if not dealt with. In this case as in most cases what happens is we use associated memory instead of primary memory. An example is cutting your finger. Primary memory says you cut your finger so you need to put a bandaid on it. Associated memory is all those memories you have of similar things and there are lots of them like someone who got blood poison or someone who lost a finger even all those scary medical things you know could happen. They are supposed to be concerns but stay in the background instead of replacing primary memory. So now you need to know why you are doing this backward. This is where it gets complicated but it certainly can be fixed.

Davit.
This has been a tough week for me and I have nowhere else to vent because no one understands, I have had panic attacks since Aug.2005 in Feb 2006 my father passed away and shortly after I became agoraphobic and did not leave the house for a year, I got through with the support of my husband, but this year I have relapsed and have been homebound since April. One of my daughters has now told me that she has no respect for me because we can't go out anywhere and it is tough on her, and my husband says that he can't go through this again and is considering a separation, I have an 11 year old daughter that I am afraid how this is going to affect her also. Plus, I have developed a constant fear that I'm dying, if I get a pain in my back, it's cancer, if I cough it's cancer, a headache is automatically an aneurysm (my bio mother had one a few years back) I have had CT scans and X-rays and bloodwork and countless tests but they only relieve me for a day or two and then I'm back to worrying. I am at wits end!

Reading this thread: