Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Anxious help

10 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Davit, I have been trying that it's working:) thank you so much. Let's see if this is the one.

Thank you again! I have been real upset with this so I know it's going to work! 
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cara

Do something like I do when unwanted thoughts appear. I say " oh, your back, I see you, (acceptance) now go way, I have no time for you". (anger) And quickly put in place a different thought. This cuts off the unwanted thought before it goes into memory yet accepts it so it doesn't have to keep cycling. The new thought should take it's place. Some times once is enough, some times it can be annoying and keep invading.

Oh I know that reaction where you blame everything on anxiety. Yet in fact the only anxiety there is the observation. EG.
anxiety doesn't cause a cold but observing you have one does. And it is normal, tell it to go away. No go away is too mild, tell it to piss off.

Going back to work is a trigger that sets off everything associated with it in memory. All that bad crap. Tell each one to just go away, this is a new start. A new you. Out  with the old. Try to treat it like a journey. 

First off take the word hate out of your vocabulary. It is a very strong negative word. Wars have been caused because of hate. Dislike things. Dislike is more acceptable. More easy to dispose of. 
First off only on TV do people have perfect lives. Everyone has some sort of struggle every day whether physical or mental that they have to shrug off so it doesn't eat at them. Some, the lucky ones don't even notice they do it.
Would you be willing to post what ever good happens each day, sort of like what we do here with other posts. This is so you are forced to think on the good because I see you drifting back toward the negative. It forces positive to the top of the pile. No, too scary?

Well I might just have to start for you.

Davit
Hi Davit,

I will give this a try. So for example, when I start having these thoughts that give me stupid emotions or upsets me, I will get mad for having this thought and tell it to go away? 
Right not I've been challenging them and just accepting them as is. 

I will try. Hopefully it will work. I don't know why but now I find that every emotion or feeling I get I blame it on anxiety. Today I felt sad for going to work it's going to be a long day for me. But I blamed it on anxiety when clearly I was just tired.

Also, since my anxiety, I've been looking deeper in my life, and questioning everything about it. I hate it because it give me this awful feeling. How do I make it stop??? I hate questioning my life and looking at it. When all I want to do is enjoy and live it.

Now I can't seem to balance my life and work. I miss my kids and everything. I feel like two different people. Is this common when starting a new job after being off for so long after anxiety?

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cara

There is one thing left and I don't know if your personality will allow it. ANGER. Anger at yourself, anger at the situation and anger at anything that shouldn't be there. BUT be careful with this one because it takes skill to use this. 
DO NOT feel anger toward anything that belongs there, family, job, drive to work responsibility.
DO feel anger at how this condition is ruining your life. Etc. Feel anger at yourself for not being able to stop it because you are doing everything right. 

This does two things, first it is a distraction and second, done right it puts the focus on the panic at the bottom of the pile. As you do this you must add reasons why all the things that are not the reason for panic aren't. Especially family if it is the reason you are there. And forcefully take a deep breath and tell it to go away in the strongest language you can use. This works for me and it works for others I know. People in high pressure jobs. 
Done right it moves the focus so you can get on. Done right it allow you to relax and move the periods of panic farther apart.

Subconsciously right now you may be feeling mad at all the wrong things, sort them out. 

Here for you.
Davit.

Try this and then we will add visualization on to it as a relaxation technique to extend the periods of calm.
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Feeling normal is something I'd wished I'd heeded when it was advised.  There's enough resistance already isn't there?

Harnessing and channeling that extra energy into your new tasks will help.  It's naturally done the night before a big trip, if you can imagine that, or the night before any big positive event, where I find I naturally control and absorb the feelings for my betterment.

Today it was the excitement of discovering how some insects were controlled in a garden.  They've devastated a flower, but I'm taking steps to control this.  I couldn't wait to get up to see the results, as I take the small steps to fix the problem.

What I find it hard to avoid is collapsing, surrendering and talking myself into failing at tasks.

"Don't believe what you think" is a good motto.  Work situations are tricky, since there are a lot opportunists who may take advantage of you, so maybe relying on your outside social circle, which is proven for support, is best.
Hi 

I'm feeling anxious since I woke up, I'm at work and on day four of my new job.

Anyone can help me? What should I do?

I try to just pretend my anxiety isn't there or just let it be, but it's so hard because I feel real off and weird. I can't really describe the feeling and I don't even know if this is really anxiety... 

I hate feeling this way.... What is your tip for me when I feel anxious? Do I not give it any attention and go on with my day as if it's not there and it will eventually go away???

I feel a panic attack coming on if I give it any though on how I'm feeling and I'm trying my best to stop it. I hate this... I really do. Not sure why it's back I had three weeks of normality.

Help! 

Reading this thread: