Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

burning mouth syndrome

14 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Princessspat,

I get 'pin prick' sensations... not the 'pins and needles' you get when your foot 'falls asleep.'  These feel like someone is sticking me w/ a needle... doesn't last long... just a couple seconds and long enough to get my attention.  I get them in my chest and stomach... again, doesn't last long, just enough to get my attention.

At this point, I ignore them.  I've had my heart checked as well as had a physical and everything (Thank God!) is ok.  I've read in several anxiety books this is your nervous system and electric shocks, pins and needles, pin pricks are part 'normal' part related to an overstimulated nervous system.

Deep breathing and distraction work... also having had them now for months, I can ignore.

Anyone else get these?

Thank you!
14 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JGD84, i know the pin pricks sensation you are talking about in your chest. I to get those and have went to numerous doctors thinking I was at risk for a heart attack, but was told everything was fine, never thought to make the connetion with the attacks.

When they come do you just think to yourself this is anxiety related, and they go away? Do you have any other tricks to help get rid of these? Let me know, it would be great if there was a way to better deal with them.

Thanks,

Pat

14 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Colleen,

My mouth doesn't burn... however, my chest, back and left arm do.  Same w/ you, I've read this is all anxiety related.  My burning 'comes and goes'... some days it last for a little bit... some days it last most of the day.

I also get sensations like 'pin pricks' in my chest... which comes and goes as well.  Anyone else get these?

I've had my heart thoroughly checked out and very recent physical.  The best explanation I was given was this... that anxiety can cause 'faulty wiring' in your nervous system which 'misfires' when you're under pressure or stress.  I wouldn't have believed it a year ago, however after all my doctor visits, tests and exams, it makes the most sense.  I've been living w/ this for a couple years now.

Knowing it's anxiety related has helped a little bit... I hope it does for you as well.

Take care!
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Colleen,

Thanks for sharing with us. That sounds very painful and irritating. Are there ways of controlling this syndrome? 
Members, has anyone else experienced burning mouth syndrome? How have you dealt with this? What treatment options were presented to you?

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was diagnosed with burning mouth syndrome where your mouth burns/tongue burns or feels sore even though it looks normal. This seems to be prevelent in anxiety patients and sometimes during menopause.
Does anyone else suffer from this?

Reading this thread: