Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Anxiety and other forms of Mental Illness

15 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think that anxiety can cause depression, but I do not believe that anxiety can cause other mental illnesses such as bi-polar. I do believe that other mental illnesses can cause anxiety however. My mom is bi-polar and suffers from occasional anxiety. Me, I only have severe anxiety with depression because of the anxiety. From everything I read anxiety can not harm you or cause a worse disease or mental illness. JMO
15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I can't answer about risks for post-partum and such. But I do know that anxiety can't "make you crazy"!
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
silvana,

I do not think that the illnesses are related in any way. Members...thoughts?
Have you read through the program? There are many tools and resources that are available to you through this site.
Hang in there, and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is a question I ask myself often, will I ever develop other types of illnesses? Things like psychosis or schizophrenia? I don't know if there has been any research done in these areas but more information would be helpful and appreciated.
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mich991,

It can be difficult to answer if anxiety or panic disorders can onset other illnesses in individuals. Most illnesses often contain a number of factors that contributed to its development and these factors can vary from person to person. With the uniqueness of each individual's experience, it is then often difficult to predict if this illness can cause other illnesses.

From your post, it sounds like you are very concerned about how your anxiety will effect you when you have children. Like other mental illnesses, the onset and predictability of postpartum depression can vary from person to person. It it often affected by the mother's pregnancy as well as other factors within the mother's life like social supports, a healthy lifestyle during pregnancy, and the relationship with the husband. Although some aspects of postpartum depression are affected by the mother's well-being, their environment also has an equally important impact.

It is strongly encouraged that you should speak to your doctor when you are thinking of becoming pregnant. Often he or she can suggest necessary steps to take to ensure a healthy pregnancy. If you are on medication, they may also suggest a different dosage for you during your pregnancy.

Members, any other advice for mich991? Can anyone relate to her experience?

Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
   Hello,

I am hoping one of the Health Educators or someone else can help me out with one of the things that I constantly worry and in turn get very anxious about. Do anxiety or panic disorders cause other forms of mental illness? I constantly worry that I am going to develop things like psychosis or postpartum depression (when I decide to have children) I worry that my anxiety disorder is going to cause other things to go wrong with me mentally and it really scares me. I am wondering if anyone has done any research or knows anything about this. I am just really scared that my anxiety disorder is going to ruin my life. I always ask myself if my anxiety is going to get worse and is it going to ruin my marriage with my soon to be husband? and when we decide to have children am I going to be a psychopath if I get pregnant? or am I going to develop postpartum depression because I already have an anxiety disorder? Am I going to be able to raise children and be a good mother? or am I going to develop some other mental illnesses and end up in a mental institution one day? Thinking about these things makes me really anxious and I am hoping someone can either relate to this or provide me with information they have found with regards to the above. Thank you!

Reading this thread: