Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,550 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Phobias and NLP

17 years ago 0 144 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Casey, thank you very mush for your expanded and deep explanation!:)
17 years ago 0 799 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Madara, Panic disorder can be treated effectively with cognitive- behavioral therapy (CBT), pharmacological therapy, and possibly a combination of CBT and medication. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy CBT combines the techniques of cognitive and behavioral therapy. Behavioral Therapy Behavioral Therapy focuses on changing specific actions and uses several techniques to decreases or stop unwanted behavior. One set of techniques is designed to help to become less sensitive to internal bodily sensations. For example, one technique trains patients in diaphragmatic breathing, a special breathing exercise involving slow, deep breaths to reduce anxiety. This is necessary because people who are anxious often hyperventilate; taking rapid shallow breaths that can trigger rapid heartbeat, light-headedness, and other symptoms of panic. Another technique, exposure therapy, gradually exposes patients to what frightens them and helps them cope with their fears. Like behavioral therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy teaches to react differently to the situations and bodily sensations that trigger panic attacks and other anxiety symptoms. One also learns to understand how their thinking patterns contribute to their symptoms and how to change their thoughts so that symptoms are less likely to occur. This awareness of thinking patterns is combined with exposure and other behavioral techniques to help people confront their feared situations. For example, someone who becomes light-headed during a panic attack and fears he is going to die can be helped with the following approach used in cognitive-behavioral therapy. The therapist asks him to spin in a circle until he becomes dizzy. When he becomes alarmed and starts thinking: "I'm going to die," he learns to replace that thought with a more appropriate one, such as "It's just a little dizziness, I can handle it." CBT teaches to anticipate the situations and bodily sensations that are associated with their panic attacks. This awareness sets the stage for helping to control the attacks. Teaching exercises to prevent the hyperventilation that often triggers a panic attack help. The exercises also help to replace alarmist thoughts such as, "I'm dying," with more appropriate ones, such as, "I'm just hype
Dear Danielle, then, is there a proven method for effective treatment of panic disorder? Thanks.
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Madara, Although NLP is not a proven method of effective treatment for panic disorder, please do feel free to share your experience with us. Danielle ____________________ The PC Support Team
Hi you there! Yes, by NLP I mean Neuro-Linguistic Programming. I've been to my first session and are lokking forward to going to these sessions. I just wanted to find out if anyone has have any experience in NLP?
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
madara, Do you mean, Neuro-Linguistic Programming? As always checking with your doctor to help assess the situation, is a good idea. Please let us know how it went :) Josie ______________________________ The Panic Center Support Team.
17 years ago 0 165 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Madara, I was hoping you could explain what NLP was. I have never heard of this type of treatment. Thanks
I am just wondering, has anyone of you cured or wanted to cure any phobia by NLP (I am having my first NLP session "Fast curing of phobias" today, want to cure claustrophobia)? If yes, how was it? Successful? Thanks.

Reading this thread: