Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

heartbeat

17 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey judy, i certainly get that too. It feels like my heart just dropped or something. Or like i'm going down a roller coaster. Its pretty scary. But as vickers said, we should not be scared at alll cause its normal and not dangerous. We just gotta stick that in our heads hehe. I hope ur feeling better! Do some breathing exercises! It really helps. ;)
17 years ago 0 222 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Judy! This is very normal for panickers. When you start to panic, your adrenaline starts going and that causes your heart to beat faster. When your heart beats faster, sometimes it causes a few skipped beats because it is pumping out the blood at a faster rate and skips a few to keep in rhythm. Very normal and it will not damage your heart. That's what my doctor told me. That's also what a cardiologist told my mother. I know that sometimes the heart will seem to be beating funny and that will cause panic. This is also normal. The heart pumps out a certain amount of blood with every beat. Sometimes, a little blood leaks back in and doesn't get pushed out. After awhile, the heart has to push that extra blood out. So, it will pause for a second to build up momentum and give an extra hard push to get that extra blood out of the chamber and then will beat fast a few times to catch back up to normal rhythm. This is also very normal and not dangerous. Everyone has this - we just notice it much, much more. Because we pay more attention to it, it happens more often and seems more intense than normal. But, I promise that when you convince yourself this is not dangerous, it will start to go away and happen less often. Actually, it will still happen, you just won't notice it. I had this fear for years and years and years and when I finally realized this is not dangerous and that it is normal, I stopped noticing it as much and it has finally stopped being a panick trigger for me. Of course, if you haven't seen a doctor about it, I suggest you do just to put your mind at ease. But, you need to trust your doctor. If he / she tells you there is nothiing to worry about after checking you out, then know that it is the anxiety causing it and that you need to work on the anxiety surrounding it - not a problem with the heart. Hope that helps! Hang in there!! You will be ok!!
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Judy, A rapid heart rate is a symptom associated with a panic attack. It is very possible that you have always had an irregular heartbeat and have only noticed that it was irregular because your panic attacks have made it more noticeable. I'm very happy to hear that you have consulted about this with your doctor, however if he didn't give you the answer you were looking for, we suggest going back to see him or getting a second opinion to rule out any other underlying medical conditions. Danielle ________________________________ The Panic Center Support Team
17 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Judy. Pretty much every where I look, rapid heartbeat is listed as a symptom of a panic attack. I was just actually posting about this in another thread. When I have my attacks, this does NOT happen to me, and my doctor thougth that was a bit unusual, as rapid heartbeat is so common. BUT, that's just one doctor's opinion. From what I have read, irregular and rapid heartrate is completely normal during an attack. Not pleasant...but normal.
17 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
does anyone know or have a irregular hearbeat when they have their panic attacks? it seems like this is about the only time i have this. ive been to my dr. but never really got an answer. it would be reassuring to me if this is part of the so called normal thing for us who have panic disorder. rather scary.

Reading this thread: