Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,786 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

Looking for a Professional

18 years ago 0 444 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey guys thank you for the good information. I am going to find out all I can about CBT. When I wrote the topic title "Looking for a Professional" I did not mean about this site, what I meant was I was looking for a therapist or counselor in my town, I hope that did not come out wrong! Your replies helped me realize that CBT must be done to have recovery and to feel better. Thank you so much again. God bless, Debbie.
18 years ago 0 110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Debbie. I agree with Caitlin and Vickers. I also found that the only thing that really made a difference, even more than the PAxil back when I took it, was CBT. For now, you need the meds to calm you down enough to be able to start moving forward again. CBT will help you change your relation to the thoughts and feelings that scare you so much. Understanding what's happening inside you and learning that you can control it is the greatest form of empowerment. And you'll feel an indescribable kind of pride when you first learn to control your anxiety, it feels so good to feel in control and not just a victim of some monstrous thing inside ou. That's how I feel about CBT.
18 years ago 0 222 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Debbie! I think what Caitlin said is exactly right. You need the meds right now so you can calm your mind down enough to work on getting better. Like Caitlin said, use it as a bridge so you can get to that point. Devote yourself to getting better by working on the CBT religiously. You have to do it for yourself. Noone can do it for you. Everyone always wants to know what the secret is. The secret is changing your thought patterns and the way you react to certain situations. It's all about your thoughts. I know it can't seem that simple. Quite frankly, it's not simple. But it is the answer. It's tough getting inside yourself and changing things because it has become a comfort zone - as completely uncomfortable that it is! Work on the CBT and use all the steps, one at a time. It takes time and lots of devotion. You can do it! Believe in yourself and know that you can do it!! Don't dwell on the panic. The more you dwell, the more it happens. Take each moment as it is, but let each moment go and then move on. Tell yourself, well, that was a bad one but now it's over and at this moment, everything is ok. You asked about why it always happens at night. It's because you've gotten yourself into a habit. When the night comes, your subconscious tells you, it's nighttime, better start getting anxious! Start telling yourself something like, just because I normally panic at night, doesn't mean that I have to tonight. It takes time, but you will break this habit.
18 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Debbi. I am not a professional, but I will give you my very strong and honest opinion. I honestly, 100% don't believe that anyone, ever, anywhere, ever truly recovers from this disorder without dedicating themselves truly to some form of CBT. I don't believe anxiety medication will ever make you better. I believe that in certain cases like yours, medication can help you get to a place mentally and emotionally where you are ready to tackle CBT, and get well, but if you don't take the opportunity and totally commit yourself to a step by step program that teaches you to change the way you think and react, you will never be well. I hope that doesn't sound harsh - I am only saying that because I care about how you are doing and I want to be honest with you, because I think you are a wonderful, sweet, generous person and you deserve the information you need to get truly well again. I believe you will see a dramatic improvement as soon as you really commit yourself to taking steps that change and control the way you think. Only CBT or CBT type approach will do that for you Debbi. I think you need to think of the medication as a bridge, one that allows you to walk to the place you need to be to select your tools and resources that you will employ in your attack on this disorder. Like you said in a recent post, getting mad helps you get control, I feel the same way. Whenever I start feeling too much like a powerless victim of fear, I get mad at the disorder, and that helps me get perspective. Use your anger to attack the disorder - don't attack yourself or who you are as a person - attack the disorder. And I personally believe you will win the battle only when you attack it by really truly committing yourself to a CBT approach. Just my two cents. Caitlin
Does CBT really work?? If you do this and take medication is it really better than just one? I know when I had a therapist it did not seem to help, it was painful in some ways to dwell on the past. Any replies I would be grateful for. God bless, Debbie.
Hi, Sorry to post again I hope I am not being a pest. I have made several phone calls today looking for a therapist or counselor who specializes in anxiety panic and depression, it has not been easy, they are very expensive and far away. I am so fed up with this disorder and so want it to end, when I hear of people who have panic attacks once or twice a week I almost envy them! Isn't that sad, I wish I could have that instead of several times a day. I always heard a combination of medication and therapy is the best, I did see a therapist but when our sessions were over she never phoned me back to renew, that hurt me, but honestly I do not think she understood, she was a social worker, insurance paid for that, but I doubt they will authorize a psyc doctor. Its gotten to the point where my whole life is panic fear and worry, I am barely functioning and I need help but it seems not to be available, I have always heard this disorder is treatable I hope thats true. I pay out-of-pocket for my psych nurse-practioner she is very nice and decent and gives me a big break on the price and has always been there for me, but she has said I need someone to talk with, basically she just prescribes the meds, I have gone downhill since the kidney infection and broncitis, the health anxiety is so high. I hope the Paxil will start working so at least I can "get a floor under me" to begin recovery, the longer it goes on the worse it gets, at least I have reached a point where I am so fed up that I must get better, if for no other reason on earth my son. All you on this site have been very reassuring and help me so much, you have faith in me when I have little in myself, I guess I want someone to say its going to get better and be alright. Please wish me luck and say a little prayer that I am led to the right therapist to help me, I am so ready to put this behind me I want to live again. Thank you, God bless, Debbie.

Reading this thread: