Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

pregnancy and anxiety

21 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cossy, Thank you for the info, it sounds like you are coping really well despite your concerns and that's really reassuring! I'd love it if you could keep me (and I'm sure everyone else reading this) posted on how you're doing as I'd really like to know how you get on. I'm in therapy too and I'm hoping that within a few months I'll have the confidence in myself to start trying for another baby, but right now it's really good to hear from other people in a similar situation. Good luck and all the best! Angela.
21 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Morning Cossy :) Congratulations on becoming pregnant. I am happy to hear that your Doctor had decided to help you with your anxiety! I have worked with moms who have had to go off particular anxiety meds because they were pregnant. Seeing your Doctor and telling him that the discontinued meds are a concern is fine. He or she will help you with alternative therapies that are safe for you and your baby! In your case your Doctor has found you a safe medication that hopefully will help you with your anxiety. If you have any concerns that this is not the drug for you then get back on that phone and let him/her know. Pregnancy is a wonderful expereience enjoy yourself :). If you have any other concerns or questions please jump back on this site and we will be more than happy to assist you. Again Congrats!!! Melanie
21 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Angela- Being pregnant probably does make me more anxious. I was quite nervous about it before I got pregnant, too. I also had fears of not having access to meds for 9 months. I have a history of stomach problems and I have a neurologic disorder so that contributed to my feelings of anxiety. I saw the perinatologist yesterday and they told me Buspar is no problem at all and even really small doses of occasional Xanax is o.k. if I need it. So, I'm feeling quite reassured. I'm in therapy, too, and know that helps. If you'd like, I'll keep you updated on how it goes. This week I've been up and down and I expect that will continue...... Cossy
21 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Firstly, congratulations on becoming pregnant. I hope you don't mind me asking, but does being pregnant make you anxious? I would really like to be able to try for a second child, but the most major part of my panic problems involves wanting to escape from certain situations. I'm concerned that if I have any difficulties in pregnancy (such as sickness) I'm going to want to 'escape' from it, which obviously I won't be able to do. And just the thought of having to go 9 months without being able to take meds. scares me... Any advice? Thanks, Angela.
Thanks for your response. I did speak my my MD's office today and they did put me on Buspar. I know it'll take awhile to work but I'm glad I called. I ll take it day by day from here..... Cossy
21 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cossy: You are totally not alone. I too have had an anxiety disorder while I was pregnant. I took paxil and then when I was three months pregnant my perscription ran out and I did not renew it because I too wanted to avoid taking medications while I was pregnant. I am curious to see what your MD has to say about Buspar. If you want to have a medication free pregnancy then do so. I don't know the severity of your anxiety, but you do, so think about it and if it is not that bad maybe you can deal with it. I also understand xanax, it takes away all those disgusting tense feelings, but you do know it is addicting, right? I had the scariest pregnancy with so many problems and 9/11 also happened and I made it through medication free. I hope when the time comes you will decide to breastfeed, the benefits are extreme and especially if you have an anxiety disorder. The mothering hormone (oxytocin)is released during breastfeeding. You are so not alone. So many women expreience depression and anxiety during pregnancy and also after childbirth so make sure you speak to your Gyn about the after childbirth beforehand. Congratulations on becoming pregnant. [b]Text[/b][i]Text[/i][i]Text[/i][i]Text[/i][b]Text[/b]
21 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Cossy. Just a word to welcome you and to congratulate you on your pregnancy!
Hi to all. I just found out this week that I am pregnant. I had been taking a really low dose of Xanax for anxiety until I found out I was pregnant. I've been off of it for 4 days and am finding I am feeling quite anxious. This isn't entirely unexpected and I had already talked with my MD about taking Buspar if I needed to but I'm tying to avoid meds if I can. I'm feeling alone in this because I don't know anyone else with an anxiety disorder who has been through pregnancy. Have any of you been through pregnancy with this? Did you take meds?

Reading this thread: