Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,478 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Isolation and Social nerves

2 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Strange how timely this post is.

I have been feeling socially anxious these last few weeks and I'm not sure why. I don't have alcohol as a crutch anymore, maybe that has something to do with it?

It's really bothering me.ni got nervous just talking with the guys at lunch the other day. I felt like other people could tell and that really bothered me and made the anxiety worse. Does anyone have tips to cope with this???

2 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Joseer,

Social anxiety can be quite debilitating. Thank you for coming here and posting. Have you found anything that helps with social anxiety? Have you found anything that makes it worse?

Ashley

2 years ago +1 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1
Hey nervousnelly,
I can tell you that you are not alone feeling like this... Thats how I feel too! And I could use some help aswell.

nervousnelly @ Oct 5, 2020, 6:27:10 PM
Hello,
I am sitting at home wondering when my life will get better. I have been thinking I need to get more social for some time now. Covid hit and I am more isolated then ever. The problem is when I do go out into the big bad world I find myself being socially anxious. I wasn't that socially anxious before now I feel like a freak. I have been alone for so long I forget how to be social. I always feel awkward and then after I talk to someone I over analyze everything I said and did then end up feeling embarrassed about something I did. AM i alone in this?
The other day my only friend suggested we hang out with two other people. I immediately felt nervous and annoyed she even asked. I realized I was being ridiculous and agreed to spend time with everyone. The day of I tried to distract myself and stay positive. During the meeting I felt weird and on edge. I think they noticed. I didn't say much because like I said I have forgotten how to be social. So at the end of the event I just felt exhausted and kind of defeated. why is being social so hard for me now? Does anyone else feel this way. I could really use some advice from someone who knows what it's like to feel nervous about stupid things.
thanks for reading!!!!

3 years ago +1 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1

Dear Nervousnelly,

Do not let COVID get you down.I can totally relate to having social anxiety and sometimes it is easier said than done. It seems I am okay with being a hermit these days. But then it starts the cycle of the avoidance behaviour. I would definitely say call up/meet up with a close friend to start and as you become more comfortable add in others.

The strategy that I have for myself is to always start small and then work my way up. Something is better than nothing.

Hope this helps : )

3 years ago +1 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 2

Hello,

I am sitting at home wondering when my life will get better. I have been thinking I need to get more social for some time now. Covid hit and I am more isolated then ever. The problem is when I do go out into the big bad world I find myself being socially anxious. I wasn't that socially anxious before now I feel like a freak. I have been alone for so long I forget how to be social. I always feel awkward and then after I talk to someone I over analyze everything I said and did then end up feeling embarrassed about something I did. AM i alone in this?

The other day my only friend suggested we hang out with two other people. I immediately felt nervous and annoyed she even asked. I realized I was being ridiculous and agreed to spend time with everyone. The day of I tried to distract myself and stay positive. During the meeting I felt weird and on edge. I think they noticed. I didn't say much because like I said I have forgotten how to be social. So at the end of the event I just felt exhausted and kind of defeated. why is being social so hard for me now? Does anyone else feel this way. I could really use some advice from someone who knows what it's like to feel nervous about stupid things.

thanks for reading!!!!

Reading this thread: