Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,678 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD, kybrg

More about Alcoholism

11 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am with you Geri. We all carry the guilt, shame and remorse in our life. But as we go through the steps with a person, we overcome all those and I believe thats how we gain strength from this process. If we don't do that, then the book says we are bound to drink again. Lot of people in AA are in that situation. After few years, when the going gets tough, all these emotions creep back up again and they go out, blaming AA.
11 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have now gone four days without a drink and am feeling better and better, however I need to get over the guilt and anxiety about being an alcoholic.  I am reading the 12 steps daily and the Big Book when I was previously in AA, but still feel the embarrassment and shame of being found out.  I will take it a day at a time and be thankful that I've gotten through it without alcohol.  I am thankful that I have this forum to read and the realization that I am not alone.
11 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi foxman...i always enjoyed biographies and autobiographies...anyone who is looking at their behaviour with alcohol would surely gleen something from the AA literature....i find that the ideas in AA are prevalent in many aspects of our daily lifes

We know that while the alcoholic keeps away from drink, as he may do for months or years, he reacts much like other men. We are equally positive that once he takes any alcohol whatever into his system, something happens, both in the bodily and mental sense, which makes it virtually impossible for him to stop. The experience of any alcoholic will abundantly confirm this.

These observations would be academic and pointless if our friend never took the first drink, thereby setting the terrible cycle in motion. Therefore, the main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind, rather than in his body. If you ask him why he started on that last bender, the chances are he will offer you any one of a hundred alibis. Sometimes these excuses have a certain plausibility, but none of them really makes sense in the light of the havoc an alcoholic's drinking bout creates. They sound like the philosophy of the man who, having a headache, beats himself on the head with a hammer so that he can't feel the ache. If you draw this fallacious reasoning to the attention of an alcoholic, he will laugh it off, or become irritated and refuse to talk.

Once in a while he may tell the truth. And the truth, strange to say, is usually that he has no more idea why he took that first drink than you have. Some drinkers have excuses with which they are satisfied part of the time. But in their hearts they really do not know why they do it. Once this malady has a real hold, they are a baffled lot. There is the obsession that somehow, someday, they will beat the game. But they often suspect they are down for the count.

How true this is, few realize. In a vague way their families and friends sense that these drinkers are abnormal, but everybody hopefully awaits the day when the sufferer will rouse himself from his lethargy and assert his power of will.

The tragic truth is that if the man be a real alcoholic, the happy day may not arrive. He has lost control. At a certain point in the drinking of every alcoholic, he passes into a state where the most powerful desire to stop drinking is of absolutely no avail. This tragic situation has already arrived in practically every case long before it is suspected.

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

The almost certain consequences that follow taking even a glass of beer do not crowd into the mind to deter us. If these thoughts occur, they are hazy and readily supplanted with the old threadbare idea that this time we shall handle ourselves like other people. There is a complete failure of the kind of defense that keeps one from putting his hand on a hot stove.

The alcoholic may say to himself in the most casual way, "It won't burn me this time, so here's how!" Or perhaps he doesn't think at all. How often have some of us begun to drink in this nonchalant way, and after the third or fourth, pounded on the bar and said to ourselves, "For God's sake, how did I ever

you would almost think the founders were a couple of alcoholics...

They were indeed alcoholics. One was a stock broker and the other was a proctologist. Who would have imagined they would get together and create this fellowship. 

The book includes both the stories. Bills Story is in the front of the book and 'Dr Bobs Nightmare' is the first story at the back of the book called Alcoholics Anonymous. Both great stories. You could see the progression of the disease and how both hit a bottom and how they use the spiritual principles to overcome the disease.

The story goes, Dr. Bob helped about 5000 people before he died 15 years after sobering. And Bill never took a drink until he died in 1971. So a solid run. 
hey,,foxman... your right..anyone with an inkling that they hav an issue with alcohol should keep an open mind and look at anything that might help.....i hav been fortunate enough to get to about 50 meetings since may 20th.....i joined a group with a good ethnic mix, age range, male/female, some newcomers and some with years of sobtiety...i like how some groups are serious about the program, supportive but also hav a sense of humour...a member who spoke last nite had everyone laughing..it was like a sienfeld show...honestly..AA has answered alot of questions for me..in a simple way they hav dealt with a complex aspect of being human....you would almost think the founders were a couple of alcoholics...
You are absolutely right. Here is another paragraph I like and could identify the vain attempts I undertook before the surrender:

Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery . The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

hello..i believe that there are normal drinkers just as there are alcoholics....i believe it is a physical,emotional,cognitive disease which very well may have a genetic base...most of the time i drank alone....however, when i looked around i saw many people who could drink socially, take a drink or leave it..no big deal....if i hav this thought right it goes like this...."one difference between an alcoholic and a normal drinker is that a normal drinker will change his behaviour to meet his goals whereas an alcoholic will change his goals to meet his alcoholic behaviour".......we shouldnt b surprised to learn that most people know we hav issues with alcohol long before we are ready to admit it
thxs foxman....when you answered that for me bac in may it was a significant insight which among other things directed me to AA....that part of the puzzle...seeing your character flaws honestly,not blaming others,living a moral life made sense to me....i realized i was spiritually sic and that alcohol wasnt helping.....i like the idea that your belief can be what you want..i call mine a moral compass.....it is refreshing to keep an openmind, learn tolerance and respect and accept others and life on their terms not by my expectations....thxs again
Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable, and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks--drinks they see others taking with impunity.

===============================================================================================

The above is part of the 'Doctors Opinion' written by late Dr. Silkworth, a benefactor of Alcoholics Anonymous. You see its not just about drinking. Its the restlessness, irritable and discontented feeling we all go through when we don't drink. We then succumb to a drink and then the allergy kicks in and we end up drunk.

Reading this thread: