Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Coping with Withdrawal

8 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wendy, congrats on your success!
Has he thought about seeing an herbalist? Herbs have helped me with a variety of things. Might try some Herbal anxiety tea---lemon balm--anxiety... valarien root, for sleep. An herbalist could guide him. Also as far as the dreams go there are herbs that help with that as well. 
8 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wendy, Has he thought about going to supervised detox? They could monitor his situation in case something gets bad and medicine.
8 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for your responses, both are very helpful.

I know it goes against all the laws of nature but the sleep apnea occurs more when he is not drinking! I can't explain it and it makes no sense at all. He is on day 4 now and is struggling to get out of bed with the exhaustion and migraine headache. He also had horrendous nightmares that seemed so real he woke up absolutely terrified.  For me, I felt so much better in every way when I wasn't drinking that it was a big motivation not to drink. For him it doesn't seem to be working that way. He has said that he isn't having cravings so that is a very good thing. I think the sense of achievement is also very positive. I just wish that he felt better physically. Saying all of that, it is only day 4, it will most certainly get better. Thinking back on my withdrawal, it was horrible and did last about 4 or 5 days. My GP should have advised me or hospitalised me.I know now that it is very dangerous to go from drinking 1 1/2 70cl bottles of scotch everyday to nothing.

My friend does suffer from depression and takes meds for that which should actually start working now. He went to the GP on Monday and she scheduled some tests for him to ensure there are no underlying issues but he didn't tell her about the sleep apnea. I don't think she has much knowledge of alcoholism as she told him that he should not have stopped drinking outright, he should just have one or two a day...haha!!!  hellooooo !! If we could limit our drinking we wouldn't have a problem ????? We did have a big laugh on that one so it's good that he is keeping his sense of humor about all of this. 

It will probably sound bizarre but I also think he suffers from PTSD although not from being in the military which is what it is usually associated with. He spent some time in London on the police force and saw some pretty horrible things. He has also worked in care all of his life and dealt with the sadness of people coping with disabilities. I would venture to say that those memories and supressed feelings have to go somewhere. I think some men feel that they have to be hard and strong and deal with their emotions but there are a lot of men who are more sensitive and need help to let their feelings out and deal with them. The mental healthcare services in England are not fantastic but maybe it is a way forward for him. I think I will suggest that.

In the meantime, it is great to be able to put my thoughts out there and hear what others have experienced. 
Thanks, Wendy
8 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wendy,
Congrats first of all on two years sober! I am hoping to hit that mark in May 2017. I quit last May, after  trying a few times unsuccessfully to quit.

Your friend sounds similar in me in alot of ways. First of all, I thought I had "depression" for a couple years. I showed alot of the symtoms associated with depression. Once, I quit drinking, most all of those symtoms went away. Alcohol is a depressant after all, so we shouldnt be surprised if it makes us depressed. Secondly, my spouse thought I had a sleep disorder due to by snoring and stopping breathing during sleep.. Once I quit drinking, that stopped almost completely. I now only snore if i an extrmeely tired before bed. In fact, for me, I would say proper sleeping is one of the biggest benefits I have experienced since I quit drinking. 

I am no health care expert, but I really would like to know if your friends apnea symptoms and depression syptoms would be less if he got off booze for a period of time? 

For withdrawal symptoms, when I quit drinking first, I was very mindful of what was going to happen. When I got a craving, I said to myself "This is normal. It will pass." And low and behold it passed away after a few minutes. 

All the best to your friend. He's lucky to have a friend like you to support him.
Gus
8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wendy,

Wow, first of all congratulations on over two years alcohol free - AMAZING!

It sounds like you are concerned about your friend and want to help. I think you being a shining example of how to be sober is and will continue to be a greatly positive influence for him. One thing that jumped out from your post is that you think he has sleep apnea. It sounds like that could be very likely and it is likely and if this is the case, his sleep is being disrupted but he is not conscious enough at the moment to remember or be aware of this. If this is the case, then he really needs to be treated. Sleep apnea can cause a whole host of health problems including depression, heart problems, stroke, low energy levels and even cancer. Not having proper sleep can do a HUGE number on the mind and body. I am wondering if his sleep apnea has contributed to his alcohol use? I would strongly encourage him to complete a sleep study and get proper treatment for the sleep apea ASAP. It is very common and relatively easy to treat. The long and short term side effects of sleep apnea are very serious. If he does have sleep apnea I think this is effecting him much more then he realizes.

About his challenging withdrawal symptoms, they all sound relatively normal and they will pass with time. Exercise, proper sleep, healthy eating and lots of support can help ease the transition. I am interested to hear from the other members in how they may have dealt with these withdrawal symptoms in the past or present.

Keep us updated on his progress and thanks for stopping by!

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi
I am happy to say that I have actually been alcohol free for just over 2 years. I have to credit much of my success to this website so thank you! I haven't contributed for some time but I intend to try to visit the site more regularly.

The reason I am writing today is that I am supporting someone who is desperately trying not to drink. He is 54 years old and suffers from depression. He has stopped drinking and relapsed many times before. At the moment he is on day 3 of not drinking. I can talk to him about what helped me with some of the things he is going thru but one thing that is difficult is that he does not feel better 'physically' when he stops drinking. There are the usual withdrawal symptoms like night sweats and nighmares which he is doing his best to cope with. At the moment the major issue he is struggling with is exhaustion. His sleep is interrupted due to the night sweats and nightmares but this seems more severe. I also know that he has what I would call very severe sleep apnea. He doesn't realise it but I know that he does actually stop breathing for brief intervals all thru the night and while he says it doesn't wake him up, I think it must to some degree. He also feels very unsettled and 'fidgety'.

I would be grateful for any advise, comments, tips or just a general discussion around withdrawal and any words of encouragement that you can offer.

Reading this thread: