Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

I just had a frozen dinner

10 years ago 0 218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Splitimage,
Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us. I never would have thought of sauces causing those kind of issues, so thank you for the information. It is definitely something  those on Antabuse should be aware of.

Take care

10 years ago 0 272 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's actually a bit of a myth that all alcohol burns off with cooking, very little actually does.    Anyone on Antabuse, as I am, has to be acutely aware of this, since eating food with even trace amounts of alcohol, can trigger an unpleasant reaction, depending on your sensitivity.

I've had some really nasty reactions after eating food that contained wine in the sauce.   Now I avoid it like the plague.

splitimage
10 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting discussion charmain.

Like Jacq said eating food with alcohol that has been evaporated likely would not make you feel the effects of alcohol; but it could be a possible trigger for some. Having alcohol in the house can be a huge trigger for many; also tasting alcohol might also be a tirgger. It depends on you. If you are concerned at all it might be best to cut out foods with alcohol until you are more confident in your quit. But the choice is yours. 

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 156 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thankyou Jacq!! I talked to my sponsor last nite and she said the same thing about the evaporation. I was sooo scared it might trigger a relapse of sorts.
Also thankyou for your congrats that I saw on my blog just yesterday. I tried to reply but didn't have much luck.

Have a great day!!

10 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Though, I have read some science disputing that but I have never felt any effects of alcohol from eating food except maybe fruit or veggies soaked in alcohol served raw. 

10 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Chairman,

Cooking is one of my hobbies and a lot of food we eat has rum, beer, wine etc...when it is cooked the alcohol burns off, it kind of evaporates after a certain temperature. If you cook a sauce for at least 20 to 30 seconds after adding wine, the alcohol will evaporate, since alcohol evaporates at 172°F (78°C).

the problem is drinking the booze you use in the recipe while cooking :)
10 years ago 0 156 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And read the ingredients to find out that it had a wine in the sauce. The amount must have been so small and certainly couldn't taste any. All the same I'm taken back and certainly do not want to blow my sobriety over a Shopper Drug Mart dinner.
Has this happened to anyone else? I feel sheepish now. 

:)

Reading this thread: