Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

repairing damage with food

10 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sue, hang in there you are doing the right thing, think of it as new beginning's. looking forward not back, and I find the one day at a time works for me

10 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It sounds like you have been through a lot. My heart goes out to you... It seems like you have put together a good support system.... counselling, AA, group therapy. This is good! Hang in there! 

10 years ago 0 82 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've had to start all over... today is my 4th day of abstaining, and I feel sick.  Stomach/intestinal issues and slight headache.  I've had 2 colonoscopies in the last 2 years.  The first one I had a pre-cancerous nasty tumour removed and several benign polyps. The second procedure my colon was a lot better, just very small polyps removed.  I have been diagnosed with diverticulosis, and I don't need to have another colonoscopy for 3 years to follow up :D   Since I was here last I have been drinking heavily, and I'm sure it is affecting my health, physically and mentally.  In September of 2012, I was hospitalized for almost 3 weeks and diagnosed with a concurrent disorder of depression and alcoholism.  I got out of the hospital and continued to self-medicate because my life is a mess due to alcohol!  I know it makes no sense, and of course the alcohol made thinks a LOT worse, so here I am again, trying to detox from alcohol again.  I have a alcohol counsellor, and I go to group therapy sessions. I started AA this last monday, and I've been every day, I'll go again today...  I need to quit this horrible drinking habit/addiction, get clean, and get thinking clear, so I can sort out my messy life!
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome Snaphu!

It really put a smile on my face reading this. I can just envision your body soaking up all those nutrients and repairing itself.  So glad to hear your IBS isn't bothering you any more either. I know how uncomfortable that can be.  Keep up the great work and just think how good you will look and feel once summer rolls around

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 82 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been eating really healthy, staying away from refined and processed foods.  Good proteins, and LOTS and LOTS of vegetables!  I'm finding that it's helping with my cravings!

I guess with the excess sugar and carbs in the alcohol, I've screwed up my blood sugar, and I've had really bad IBS for years.  This all seems to be going away, if not gone altogether (I hope)...  the blood sugar issue is still lingering, as when it drops I start craving alcohol in the afternoon.  So I appease the cravings with a carbonated soda with lemon and lime, and a healthy snack!  It's helping!  YaY!

Reading this thread: