Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,679 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD, kybrg

Saying "No Thanks"

12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jessica,

Great advice and great coping mechanism!

Josie, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have found that having an excuse to say no thank you really helps.  In my case I use driving as the excuse.  Rather than saying no thank you I drink too much as it is I'm going to abstain tonight, i say thanks but I'm driving, a soda perhaps?

my dad said to me at Easter.. 'what? you won't even have one?  that wont affect your driving'.  I was luckily able to fall back on the fact that I'm only a G2 licensed driver so it's actually against the law for me to have any BAC over 0.  I was surprised to see just where the pressures are coming from, I would have thought from my friends and peers, but i never suspected my older role models would have a negative affect on my drinking.  

I work in a bar on weekends (bartender some nights security other nights) and often feel pressure from my boss to have a few beers after we close up, or nearing the end of my shift, I always tell him I'm driving and simply can't do it.   I often offer to drive him home if he would like to have a few, that allows me to have the social drinking/bar feeling without actually drinking.  

My suggestion to help people say no thank you, volunteer to be the DD every chance you get.  Your friends, the community, the police and even the bar staff will thank you, and you'll have a feeling of purpose, pride, and self respect.  Most establishments will offer non alcoholic beverages to a DD if they are interested in having something to drink, plus you get to still hang out with all your friends.  Often if you tell the bartender you are the DD, and you 'slip' later on and try to order a drink, the bartender can help you get back on track with a gentle reminder that you are responsible for driving.
12 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There are a large number of reasons why some people have a hard time saying “No thanks”. For example:

•    Some people are embarrassed, and feel that they’ll have to explain why they’ve cut down or quit drinking.
•    Some might feel that it won’t matter if they have one more drink – or just one, period.
•    If you’re out with a new boss, friend, colleague or partner, you might believe that you might jeopardize your job or relationship if they find out the reason why you’re always saying “No thanks” when offered a drink.
•    The physical discomfort and temptation you feel might be too strong.
•    If you don’t drink you might feel like you just don’t fit in.

There are many, many other reasons why people can have a hard time saying “No Thanks”. And some are great at saying “No Thanks” for years - and then wake up the next day to find they’ve had a slip or have relapsed. It happens.

No matter what you’re personal situation is, the best way to learn how to say “No Thanks” is to practice. Like anything else in life, you can only become good at something if you practice enough.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: