Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

5 months today & I feel awesome - Aug. 4

11 years ago 0 156 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Saturday, September 08, 2012

Congrats to you Split Image. WOW. Especially with all the school tresses, you've handled this so well.

11 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Splitimage.....you're doing great and all the changes in your life are moving forward in a positive direction.  I hope that someday I can say I'm 6 months sober.  For now, my battle with alcohol continues, but reading the posts from people like you and Foxman does inspire me, and makes me believe that there is life after alcohol.  Thank you for being an inspiration.  
11 years ago 0 100 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A big congrats back at you splitimage for your success. I won't make a big hoopla as it sounds like you are trying to keep this milestone fairly low key but I do congratulate you on your "one day at a time"s adding up to six months so far and wish you the best of luck in your new program at school and coping with the less than great things in a healthy way. I hope we can be here for you through all of it. 
11 years ago 0 272 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jessica30,

Thanks.  I did hit my 6 month mark this past week, and I haven't done anything in particular to celebrate it, nor will I.   It feels too tenuous to celebrate - kind of like I'd be jinxing myself. 

I have however gone back to school to retrain as a forensic accountant in the hopes that that will increase my job prospects and let me get back to work.   My first week was pretty brutal, I have 6 hours of back to back classes tues., Wed. & Thurs, so it's pretty intense.   The course looks like it's going to be interesting but really intense.   Also sold my car, so I'm adjusting to taking TTC everywhere, which has been a bit of a shock to my system after having a car for 20 years.     The good thing is I know that there's no way that I'd be able to handle school if I was still drinking.   Don't really know where I'd be if I was still drinking - just that it would probably be ugly.

I still have a lot of stuff that's less than great in my life, although all of it is allowing me to turn my life around, I hope.

So for now, I'm trying to focus strictly on one day at a time.

splitimage

11 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Splitimage,

I'm writing you today because I see your 6 month sober date is rapidly approaching.  I wanted to congratulate you, and ask you how you are planning to celebrate this incredible milestone.  
Congrats again.

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, thanks for sharing splitimage.  You are really working hard at changing your life around - and your hard work is an encouragement to others also striving to cut back or cut alcohol out of their life altogether. 
You have important goals and have planned well how you will reach them.  
Know we are always here to support you if you ever feel you are losing control.

Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Splitimage, you are totally an inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing and being so open.
11 years ago 0 272 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Vincenza, Charmain, Smiles, and Marylizy.   It feels good to get congratulations from other people who I know are going through the same thing.

Vincenza - you asked about why I'm afraid of relapsing at 6 months.   Well that's pretty much been my pattern in the last three years - I get 3 or 6 months and I relapse.   I once made it to 9 months and I relapsed.   I think it's because by that time, the memory of how awful I feel drinking has faded and I just remember that it helps me to numb out and to not feel - and a lot of the time I want to escape my feelings, don't really know how to deal with them completely yet.  The DBT program I did gave me a lot more and better skills for learning to tolerate and regulate my emotions in healthier ways, and I clearly remember how just sad I was the last time I relapsed.    

What am I doing to protect myself?   i'm going to be extra vigilant about thoughts about drinking in the next month and make sure I talk to people about them.   I'm going to stay on my antabuse, and I won't drink while on that - did that a couple of times, and have no desire to repeat that experiment.    I'm going to keep going to AA meetings and posting here and on a couple of other recovery sites I use, and continue to read reovery literature daily.    I also remind myself that I'm going back to school in Sept. and I don't want anything to screw that up for me.   I see it as my best chance to get my life back on track.

Advice for others.   Never give up trying.   Whether your goal is abstinance or moderation - just don't give up trying, if you slip stop and get back on track as quickly as you can, and don't be afraid to ask for help.  That was my problem for a long time - being afriad to ask for help.

Hope everyone has a good 24 hours.

splitimage

11 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A big CONGRATULATIONS you Splitimage...You are an inspiration to us all....Thanks for sharing your story....
11 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Splitimage!!

With everything you have been through , you are an inspiration!

Reading this thread: