Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Two Months

8 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rich61,
You are amazing, great mindset! Such an inspiration to everyone reading your story. Keep up the great work!
JA
8 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What do you think will be important moving forward?  

I think moving forward I need to work on staying out of situations that will trigger cravings to drink. These include certain people and life stresses that cause my mind to want tempory relief through alcohol. I've been meditating in the morning to start my day in a centered place. Some days I have to stop the momentum of stress by taking time to breath deeply. If this doesn't work I'll lie down for a 20 minutes to calm myself down. For many this option is not available. Taking a walk at lunch or lying down for a few minutes after work is also an option.

How do you think you can ensure your success for the next few months? 

I've noticed that when I have the most trouble is when I get overly tired and I try to push through it. I have a very addictive personality. When I do things I do them to the max. I will keep tabs on how I'm feeling more often. When I'm feeling wiped out I will do my best to rest. When I'm rested and calm life is very good to me. 
8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Rick61!

I had a big smile on my face as I was reading what you wrote. It is so nice to hear how well you are doing! It is also very inspiring. Thank you for sharing it with us.

What do you think will be important moving forward? How do you think you can ensure your success for the next few months?
Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very inspiring Rich61!! You seem very committed. Keep going :-) PS I need to be reminded how my body and soul will feel so much better. Last time I quit for 10 days, it made such a difference so I am dreaming about quitting for at least a month
8 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rich61,

Congratulations on your two months without alcohol and thanks for sharing your success story.  Your running and biking sound great and your 100 day goal must be motivating.  It sounds like things are getting easier for you now.  Good to hear.  Keep up the great work and continue to keep us posted about how things are going for you.  It helps us all!
8 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I didn't plan that two months without alcohol would happen on St Patrick's Day. Yesterday was a very good day for me. My body is becoming healthier everyday and my mind is becoming clearer and stronger too. I still have a day every now and then when my cravings for alcohol kick up. I just stay really busy that day until the cravings pass. 

My wife and I went out for supper last night at a local Mexican restaurant. We had a great meal and awesome time together. The restaraunt was kind of empty. We both laughed how everyone must be celebrating St. Patrick's at another location.

I've been biking and running most days to reach my 100 day goal of riding a century with our local bike club. This week I rode 40 miles in one day. Afterwards I felt awesome. Later that day I ate everything in the house that wasn't nailed down. Hahahaha!

For me the turning point still has been making it through the first two weeks. Those weeks were the toughest for me.. After two weeks my mind and body started to get used to the change. One month felt like a year. The second month flew by. I finally stopped counting the days and hours without alchol.

One last thing I forgot to mention is how my sense of smell has improved. I notice things that I never noticed before. Like the smell of grass, leaves, flowers, etc. Its interesting how alcohol robs us the most basic senses...

Best of luck to everyone on their journey : )

Reading this thread: