Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Seen the light

9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are very welcome.

Congrats on all the hard work you have already put into this. It is inspiring to read the process you have worked through. You have come a long way. How were you able to stick with trying after all the challenges you have been facing?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Simply my experience only, I am not knocking the person that can moderate, as a matter of fact I envy anyone who can have a drink and walk away. 
For me moderation is a joke, One drink is too many and 100 is not enough. For those that try to moderate it will not be long that their true problem is realized. Dr Silkworth called it the phenomenon of craving. Alcoholism is a disease that kills but before it kills you it destroys families and much more.
9 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Where to start ? I signed up to AHC when I accepted I had an alcohol problem and realised I needed to address it and change my life style.I said I wanted to reduce/cut back on amount I drank and started receiving suggestiond,hints & advise through e-mail. I also started seeing professional counsellors & organisations.The advise I was getting off  AHC was mirrored by the experts. I tried counting units, then meditation ,mindfulness and distractions - all to reduce my consumption. I couldn't make it work but now my goal is total abstinance - first time this was suggested/mentioned to me I was filled with dread and fear - no alcohol ever again ! Well today that thought fills me with hope ' excitement & happiness - it's early days but I am enjoying waling up without a hangover,enjoying not planning/craving my next drink - enjoying life again - brilliant - ThNkyou AHC & everyone for helping me & pointing me the right way - cheers . Stubbley 

Reading this thread: