Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Not a second thought

9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley,
It is a great feeling. It makes me want everyone to have the same feeling of content and happiness. I can see such a difference in my life. Thanks!

9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome work!

How does it feel to be greatly contributing to the "no drama"? It sounds like you are in control.

Ashley, Health Educator
Yes! That's how it felt. Like alcohol pulled the strings. I knew it was bad but it's such a cycle. I drink because I drink...etc. Once all the alcohol gets cleared out of our heads we can see the problems that pushed us to it and embrace the feelings and regain control over them.  A puppet is exactly the right reference and being "pulled along".  So glad to be of a free mind. Sometimes I catch myself thinking how happy this life is and this life is the greatest! Then I feel a crushing sense of sadness for the time I waisted and the hurt I caused by being a puppet. Alcohol is truly like a web that grows and grows before you know it you've poisoned your life and everyone you loves life.  Control is a must because if we move it off the front burner in our mind it will sneak back into pull those strings! 
9 years ago 0 48 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So true about the puppet quote. I was reflecting on this statement this afternoon as I was walking around a neighborhood that I only have associations with drinking in bars. It was fantastic to be sober and in control and not being in some drunken state aimlessly being "pulled" along. 
9 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Heard this in a meeting yesterday, thought it is so true, "We used to act as though we were puppets, somebody pulling the string". Thats how we live under the influence. Sometimes, I get back into the old way of thinking but because of the awareness we can snap out of it.
Thanks! I appreciate the positive feedback. 

It really was like a lightbulb in my head....a moment of like--hey I didn't buy any alcohol! I didn't even think about it!! And then... Wow I'm really busy how on Earth did I ever, ever get along in life when I was drunk all the time!!  Put a smile on my face and still does this morning! :-)

Yes, Dave, I think it's major progress also.  I am prone to negative self depreciating thinking.  So, being positive and being proud feel so great!! I do feel like I'm reclaiming my life.
9 years ago 0 48 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well done! Every day counts!
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ND,

Excellent attitude! That's major progress on your part. Stay focused and keep moving forward. Each time you realize that positive difference in your life and that you don't need to escape anxiety and fear through alcohol abuse you regain more control over your life. Well done ND!

All the best,

Dave
So I've been dealing with some big stress lately. Ex husband drama deluxe. Had a meeting at school today about the ex. Now,  in the past I would have left school and driven to buy alcohol because he stresses me out and he is a trigger for me. Today I didn't!! In fact I went to the grocery store and walked right passed the booze to get things to make  for dinner. 

I realized driving home that I have no clue how I ever got anything done when I was drinking and am so thankful I'm not. Not a second thought and trying to hold it together! Just wanted to share.  

Reading this thread: