Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,676 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke

28 days!

10 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jenny,

good insight, and Yes you are right.  This is something I will have to work on.

Thanks for that,

Rob
10 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob,

It sounds like you have given a lot of thought to how you will deal with holidays and abstaining.  Any chance that you can change up the holiday a bit so it is a little out of routine and thus fewer drinking associations?

Jenny
Reply,

Jenny,

I go on the 3rd of August for two weeks, over the last couple of years I have failed to get throuhg the summer holiday without drinking and it has taken me months to get back to my pre holiday non drinking state.  I would thus be feeling very apprehensive about going on holidays (so ironic)

Rob 
10 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on 28 days Jenny! I have to completely agree with Rob. It is so inspiring to see how strong you were to avoid alcohol even during a difficult time. I am very sorry to hear about Cancer. Please keep us updated on how you are doing. I  will be thinking of you will I meditate this evening.

Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks for the support splitimage and Rob.  The cancer news was unexpected.  I had breast cancer 10 years ago and thought I was done with it: chemo, radiation etc.  However, this cancer is a better one to have- if there is such a thing.  It is contained which is good.  I see the surgeon on July 22.  I have thoughts of why me again and do I have the energy to fight this again; then I realize that I have no choice but to deal with it and I will find the resources within.  ....And you are so right splitimage, drinking would not make anything better.

It is much like abstaining with alcohol I guess: one day at a time.  

Rob, when is your holiday and how are you feeling about that now in  terms of not drinking?

Jenny
10 years ago 0 272 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jenny -
Congratulations on 28 days.   That's wonderful.   I'm glad you were able to get through the camping trip without drinking.   It sounds like you had some good strategies for managing.

I'm so sorry about the cancer.   I hope treatment works for you.   Try to stay strong in your resolve not to drink, it won't make anything better.

splitimage
Jenny,

I found your last post very impressive.

How you manage with your news of cancer, go on holidays and still not drink, is amazing.

I am sorry to hear about the cancer, I hope things work out for you.

Extremly well done on succeding in your not drinking battle when on holidays.

Either of you battles would have crushed me drinking resolve.

How do you do it?

Rob
28 days today!  I am just back from a camping trip and did not drink at all.  It wasn't easy but I made it through.  It helps with some news I got a few days ago that I have cancer again and will be contending with that.  I have to say that I am so glad that I got started on this road and feel more in control of things.  Each day I get through adds to the count and further reinforces my resolve.
While on holidays I was up front with my sister-in-law as wine a plenty is a regular thing in the evening.  When we arrived, I just told her that I wasn't drinking now and it was no big deal for her but then I also wasn't offered anything which made it easier.  
I also had an evening where I really was wanting a cold beer and I mentioned it out loud to my husband and that seemed to help.  We always had alternate drinks and also tried to minimize activities that had a close relationship with alcohol. (sitting on a patio/bar,  restaurants that would remind etc.)  Also, we stayed quite active (hiking, exploring etc.) and went to bed early.
Now I am home and will need to work through my feelings about the cancer.  I wasn't able to meditate at all, something I have found really helpful. Jon Kabat-Zinn's "Body Scan meditation" is wonderful.  I ordered it online and I find that it brings me peace. 

Reading this thread: