Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

14 days today!

10 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jenny,

hope the biopsy works out, we went through the experience recently and not a plesent time, but camping is a great follow up to get the mind off things a little. 
Sounds like you have a great hubby there supporting you. Maybe ye can hatch a strategy together for when you are at your sister in laws

I will take your tip on the chooice of non alcholic drinks to hearth and see if it can get me over the worst.

Thanks,

Rob
10 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob,
We are at a bed and breakfast today and taking off for camping after seeing a summer theatre play today.  Last night I was stressed as had to have a biopsy yesterday.  But my husband, bless him,  didn't bring any alcohol.  We both sat out on the veranda last night sipping on club soda.  You know,  it was a contented relaxed feeling versus where is the next glass of wine....
We are in a little town with lots of little restaurants with outside cafes but that is a trigger for me for having a cold beer or glass of wine.  We didn't go and tried something different. Early to bed, early to rise:)

For me,  it seems important to have a non alcoholic choice of drinks handy.  Not that the other choice hasn't crossed my mind but I am trying to keep in mind how clear headed (as you said Rob) I feel. Not to mention no guilt which is big for me. Each step of success seems to soldify my resolve and each challenge overcome helps. 

My big challenge will be at the beginning of next week visiting my husband's sister where wine always flows.  Will need to spend some time sorting out a strategy. Maybe get stuff for Caesars minus the alcohol to  have a treat myself.

I am trying to keep myself in the present and appreciate each moment of whatever I am doing, deep breathing and meditate when I can. This seems to help me.

Sian,
Thanks for advice about the ups and downs of the alcohol free life.  good advice also about taking time for myself to destress.  I have been doing a meditation tape daily and this sure helps and have brought it with me. Also, my husband and I both like to read so have a great book along which allows time away.
Thanks for help and support both Rob and Sian
Jenny,

Paradoxically, holiday time can be the most difficult time.  I have a two week vacation in France in early August and I am genuinely fearful.  In response to the last line of your post, "fighting the sense there will be something missing",

There will be somethng missing, but just maybe planning for something to go in its palce will help.
Also you will get something additional by not drinking, more energy, waking up with a clear head etc.

I hope yoour camping goes well,  if you can let us know how you get on (good or bad) and pass on any tips that would be great.

Thanks,

Rob
10 years ago 0 100 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on getting through the last few challenging days, and great news that you feel better for it already.

My experience of quitting was a rolling cycle of highs and lows over several months and even though I had lots of support there were a good number of days when I felt incapable of lifting my mood from 'miserable' to 'OK' despite exercise, meditation, motivational reading and such like. If I wake up with a headache nowadays, I can feel especially aggrieved now I'm not even drinking!

Obviously a bad mood will pass eventually, I just need to ride it out and I tell my husband as much if he inquires. But these days can be really hard to get through and the idea of a drink can return insidiously, that's when I call sober friends for moral support and they have saved me from caving in once or twice when I felt really low.

I would suggest keeping your camping plans flexible if possible, do you have a plan for taking time out if you feel stressed, are you open to going home earlier than planned if you find you're not enjoying yourself? 
Thanks for the encouraging words and advice Samantha and Rob. Congratulations on your 33 days Rob!  I agree that planning ahead for challenges and a response to them is very important. My husband is supportive and we will be looking for new ways to celebrate and enjoy our camping holiday.  I  am okay with him having a drink. He is a moderate drinker. We aren't bringing anything that I like to drink though as that would be too hard. I am fighting a sense that there will be something missing and will need to keep putting things in a positive light. 
10 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Jenny, 

Congratulations on 14 alcohol free days. I am glad to hear that you are feeling great. Do be creative and think of new ways to reward yourself for making it to summer holidays and for your success. 
Keep the positive energy flowing and continue to use the coping strategies that have been working for you. 
Reach out to us if the going gets tough, work through the sessions of the online program offered and know that we are here for you. 

Wishing you all the best this weekend and on your camping trip!

Samantha, Health Educator
Jenny,

well done.  I am on day 33 today so I know where you are at.  Meditating defineately helps and predicting where you are going to come under pressure and planning accordingly also seems to work well.

Is your husband with you on this (I imagine he could be a real tipping point for dealing with your triggers when camping)

Very best of luck, I look forward to getting further posts with updats on your success.

Rob
Well, it has been 14 days for me and no alcohol. I have to say that I feel great although it has not been easy.  I am a teacher and I am officially on summer holidays today.  The last few days have been difficult as my default- to celebrate and unwind- has been for the last umpteen years, to have a glass or two or thre+ of wine. Trying to think of other ways to reward myself.  baby steps toward a life without the need of alcohol to get through.
Another challenge coming up on Tuesday is that my husband and I will leave for a camping trip.  In the past, we have always had a happy hour complete with wine and appetizers.  This will be tough to forgo but my plan is to get through the summer without alcohol.  Unstructured time for me has always been difficult.  
That being said,  feel so proud of myself that I have made it to two weeks!  I have also begun meditating daily to relax and renew.  I am feeling better physically and mentally, more energy and more positive, than I have felt in a long time! I wasn't sure that I could manage this but I am doing it step by step!

Reading this thread: