Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Starting again

9 years ago 0 161 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nodrama, tired is exactly the feeling, and I am smiling because in my spam folder at work were these emails that said "Tired of drinking?" Indeed I was. Thanks for responding. I hope you won't let regret bog you down.

9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ElizabethRRRR---I read about your fall the other night and all the details leading up to it. Your posts were like a mirror to my life lately. I had a huge "melt down" as my husband calls it in May and gave up drinking anything.....then went on vacation at the end of June and decided it would be ok just on vacation.....came back from vacation and kept on going with one bad day a week.  Until Sunday night and I was a mess. I've tried and tried and just keep failing. I feel that this time might be different because i am just so tired.  It felt great to not have it hanging over my head but the regret for what i have put my family and friends through is crippling. Anyway ElizabethRRRR thank you for your posts. I am hoping to find my way to a good place. I am glad i found this site. Hope it works.
Turquoise, I am at one week sober and hoping you are finding your way back. I remember vividly what you said about wine. You were so right. Thinking of you a lot, remember the night when you had the courage to stop. I gained so much strength from you, though it took me a long time to get there myself. Let us know how you are feeling. 
Hello Turquoise! I am so glad to find your news. You have been my inspiration this past year, although I did not have your strength until now, and I have been hoping to find out how you are doing.

Wish me luck too and hats off to you.
9 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Turquoise,

I just finished reading your blog and must say for the most part you appeared to have amazing self control. I could never have done what you did. I really liked the idea with the breathalyser. How clever is that.

When you say you were drinking an entire bottle of wine every day by the end of April, are you referring to a 750 ml or a 1.5 liter bottle? Reason I ask is that I never even bothered with a 750 ml. bottle since to me, that would have been moderating. Hence the reason I'm abstaining. (Got a wee bit out of control.)

Wondering how you are making out with your new resolve. Perhaps you might consider sharing your journey through your blog again...you are quite the motivator.

One day...
TS
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Turquoise,

Welcome back and well done on asserting your control over the challenge! It's really great to have you back because you are such a positive member of the support community here. We started at the same time last year and your support has been instrumental in my progression to where I am today and for that I am sincerely grateful. I'm looking forward to hearing more and continuing the support structure we established last July! 

Great work on 18 days! 

All the best 

Dave
9 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
By "gently", I mean that I started out very moderately and never got drunk. Somehow, though, I was managing to consume almost an entire bottle of wine every single day by the end of April....

Welcome back Turqoise. That is why they call it a subtle foe. It slowly creeps up on us. There is never a case where it got better.  Glad you are back.
9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry to hear about all you have had to go through Turquoise. I hope everyone in your family are now on the road to recovery.

Congrats on getting back to it. We are happy to have you back and will be rooting you on every step of the way.  Keep us updated on how you and your family are doing.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back!! I'm new, just 5 days without alcohol. Been drinking for years. I have been on this site a lot using the tools and doing lots of reading. Please know I found your blog to be very inspiring to me. The more I'm on here, the more I realize there are others who really get it. Blessings!! 
9 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi guys, I'm back. 2014 has been a very rough year, but things are finally looking up. My mom had a double mastectomy for breast cancer in January, then both of my kids got pneumonia, one right after the other. In February my daughter broke her leg, then had to get braces (no insurance for orthodontia). In March a co-worker committed suicide and my husband got pneumonia. In April, my best friend was diagnosed with cervical cancer and had a total hysterectomy. And I "gently" drank my way through all four months, after being sober for 5 months last year.  By "gently", I mean that I started out very moderately and never got drunk. Somehow, though, I was managing to consume almost an entire bottle of wine every single day by the end of April....

So in May I got sober again. I haven't had a drink since May 1st, which makes 18 days now. I feel really solid about the quitting, and I haven't had any strong urges or second thoughts about it this time. In some ways it all feels very surreal. Anyway, it's good to be back, and how is everyone doing?

Reading this thread: