Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

Quite a long time

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jessica30, 

It sounds like you've taken some important steps forward recognizing addictive patterns with other risky behaviours.  You mentioned finding a support group through the SCA.  Have you also sought help from a health care practitioner? 
What did you find helpful in quitting drinking? What similar strategies can you use to break other addictive habits?
Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have not posted in some time.  I have been sober for  quite a long time, somewhere in around 8 months I believe.  

I have some new concerns however as it seems that I might have gone a little far in the other direction.  In an attempt to change my lifestyle completely I stopped drinking and began  eating better and working out.  This is all great, I lost 60 lb and I look/feel fantastic.  In my quit process I left my ex and moved in with a family member who is a raging alcoholic.

I dont stay home a lot to avoid his drunken stupidity so I'm out running or 'clubbing' all too often.  Although I'm not drinking alcohol and I'm not doing drugs I do find myself often part taking in other risky behaviours like casual sex (6+ people per week, often up to 35 encounters a week-not always different people).  I have never really dealt with feelings or emotions because I initially did drugs, then I drank to mask them... I feel like now perhaps I'm 'emoting' via sexual activity rather than really feeling emotions.  I made the mistake of discovering Toronto's hidden  on premises sex clubs... so although I'm sober I'm doing other risky behaviours... luckily I also recently found SCA (Sexual Compulsives Anonymous) and I'll see how that goes.  In the meantime I'm going to start avoiding swingers clubs and all of the swingers that I met through said clubs.. and will be doing everything I can to say no any additional advances (sadly since losing weight and looking fabulous I get hit on even in supermarkets and funeral homes)....  I will not leave work in the middle of the day for sex and I will not take days off of work for sex.  Here I go again starting yet another quit cycle... 

Yay! for sobriety and I suppose its also a good sign that I recognize the need to pull in the reigns a bit on the other activities.

Reading this thread: