Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

7 days

12 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're very welcome! Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I will keep you informed! And I will look at the emergency plan and keep it mind. Thanks so much for your advice.
That sounds good!  It sounds like you have thought this through carefully.

Keep your emergency quit plan close at hand. You can view it in the Education section.

Enjoy! Let us know how it goes.

Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks Ashley! I think I am going to go to the party I was invited to.  I don't get to get out a lot with adults and socialize and it would be nice to do something on a Saturday night with some friends.  They're a great group of women and I don't think any of them will give me any grief for not drinking.  It's not a bar scene, so I think that would take a lot of pressure off. I'll be painting a picture and things like that are always kind of "therapeutic" for me. I'm really actually looking forward to it!  
Hi Tom and everyone,

Generally we recommend avoiding potential trigger situations until you are more confident in your quit. If you do decide to go make sure that you have a plan and if you start craving leave the situation.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Ashley, Health Educator
Good luck Tom! Let us know how it goes and remember we are here to support you no matter what.
Hepsie, those are fantastic ideas!! I might file those into my own "what to do instead of drinking" catalogue : ) I can tell you on Saturday, I was at my parents house with one of my sisters and her daughter and there was a big game on that night. All day we just hung out at our parents, baked cupcakes, made dip for the game, my mom cooked a great dinner and we just laughed  and cut-up all day.  And when it was game time we had our food and laughter and the excitement of the game, and like you said, it's worth it not to have that "haze" over your mind and you can actually remember the fun! 
12 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great advice, reddragon!  I discovered, happily, that parties where I don't drink are actually better than those where I do drink.  I could actually have intelligent, complicated conversations with other people, and remember them the next day.  And as I get older, I realize I really want to spend quality time with my family, especially older members, instead of wasting that time in a haze of alcohol.  Maybe you could distract yourself by making it a goal to learn a little bit more of your family history--get people talking about the "good old days" or telling sharing funny memories about each other. Or become the family photographer, and document the event--hard to do if you're drinking.  Good luck!
12 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank You soooooo much,i will try, that is a very good idea,I will be there and I will not fail
That is a good question Tom and I have found myself in a similar situation. A friend of mine, that I have not seen in a while, called me today and invited  me to a "paint" party ( I guess that is what they are called). Anyway, she left me a message inviting me and the first thing she says is "bring a bottle of wine". So very tempting! Just the thought of getting out and socializing with someone besides my kids made my cravings go crazy!! So, I thought about it and I very much want to go, but I am scared I may not quite be ready to face that, sitting around watching everyone drinking.  I'm going to give myself a couple of days before I call her back and give her an answer.

Pertaining to your family party, does your family know that you are trying to quit? If they do then I hope that they are supportive  of your decision, Wouldn't they much rather a happy, healthy Tom? Give yourself some time to think about it, the party is a week away right? You have time to make a mental preparation. Will there be children around? Maybe you could occupy your mind playing with them! Think about how good you feel sober too, that has helped me a lot, just thinking to myself that I don't want to wakeup with a hangover and feel tired and depressed.   I hope that helps some! And I wish you the best!  
12 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Reddragon,i fell good,thank you for encouraging me,i am going to have a party in the next two week,this is very tough test for me i don't know what to do,this is a family get together,my wife said i should be there,i just don't know what to do,any advise?

Reading this thread: