Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,675 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY

Thank you!

11 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beautiful KJ! That doesn't sound cliche at all - it sounds like a life changing "aha" experience. Thank you for sharing.

And we are all always a work in progress!  I know I am for sure.
Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It feels good! I know I am always continually working to maintain my goal, but it's very refreshing to know that I can reach this point. 
As cliché as it sounds, I've really just proven to myself that I can achieve my goals with persistence and planning. There were so many points earlier in my life where I never thought that I would be able to stop drinking or that I would be able to pull myself out of depression. I am still very much a work in progress, but I have come so far from where I was, and now know that I have so much further that I can go. 
11 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much for posting KJ.

Stories like your's really is what this place is all about. You ARE an inspiration.

After all your hard work, how does it feel to have accomplished this?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
KJ - and thanks to you for posting. You inspire me.
11 years ago 0 100 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Huge changes in your life there KJ, thanks for sharing how far you've come.
11 years ago 0 112 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks KJ! Very inspiring! There's not judgment here of course:)
11 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all! 

I don't post too often (or ever), but I do read through the forums and posts every night and have for the last couple years. 

In short, I spent about 5 years secretly binge drinking myself to sleep, using alcohol to cope with whatever problems and stressors I was experiencing and feeling alone and hopeless. I self medicated my depressive symptoms and many times felt like that was going to be the rest of my life and that there was no way out. No one ever knew that I had alcohol issues, and I was very good at hiding it and not letting it affect the rest of my life.
Through a combination of using this website, getting counselling, setting some goals properly and personal strength I am confident in saying I am in better control of my drinking. My goal is too be able to drink socially without needing to binge, and to not drink by myself. I do slip up here and there, but compared to my 'old self' I feel much less hopeless about it and am better able to get myself back on track. 
One of the reasons I am posting is because my counsellor wants me to tell someone about my previous drinking habits to be able to share with others what I have accomplished. I'm still hesitant to share this with others because I'm afraid of judgement from others or losing friends that don't understand addiction. 
I'm really thankful for all the posts that everyone has put up and for being able to notch more 0s than I ever have in my diary. 
Continuing to stay strong, I am in such a happier place than I have been the last 5-6 years and wanted to post to share, and let others  know that it can be done 
Thanks for reading ! 

KJ 

Reading this thread: