Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Brainstorming on Ideas to Replace Drinking

10 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great work!

All your planning and hard work will pay off.

Weekends are tough to figure out but now is a great time for self descovery. Figure out what is important to you. How do you want to spend your time now that alcohol isn't taking all your time? What are some hobbies you want to try?  What could give you fulfillment?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I find that my urges happen between 4 PM and 8 PM. so I started to walk home from work (.5 miles) that takes to 6 pm and I plan the weeks dinner menu with my son and I pick up and the ingredients on the way home that take till 6.30 pm. then my son and cook dinner for the family .. bingo I am full and it is 8 PM and I am not really interested any more. My problem is the weekend. Have not been able to figure it out yet but I have the week covered for the past 6 months.
13 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Scyence,

Yes get back into all those things you love! Life is so short...we must do the things we love while we can! 

I like to work on artsy projects too... have you done any painting or photography since writing this post?

Ray

13 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOW!
you seem full of project and energy. That should help you with your goals
13 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Reading this, I realize how much more stuff I used to do before I got my alcohol problem.

I'll start painting again
Cleaning my house
Photography
Walking around downtown looking at buildings.
Biking
13 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh, I just noticed this reply now Keesu! I really like your idea with the food recipes! There are so many options with food, but sometime it helps to get someone elses opinion on it! I think I will do the same, type in my ingredients and go with it! I like!
That way you use the food you have instead of wasting too!

I enjoy lots of food, chicken, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruits, beans, seeds, nuts.....etc. 

Ray
14 years ago 0 35 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ray,
Yeah, one needs to be careful of the documentaries...they are often bittersweet, and it takes a careful and open mind to focus in on the good that is helping and not get depressed about the reality.

Regarding eating/cooking...I have been totally enjoying getting on the web to search for new recipes to try. For example, I might have chicken out thawing, and maybe green beans...I just type "recipes chicken green beans" into yahoo or google or whatever and search for something new to try. Then I often tweak the recipe to what I have or what I like. Try it! What foods do you like?

-Keesu
14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi keesu,

I am so glad to hear you understand my interest in documentaries. There is indeed so much to learn in the world , almost an overwhelming amount! I usually watch no more than 2 a week, otherwise it can get to be too much and some of them are a bit depressing.

Have you tried anyhting new and exciting to eat? If you have please share, I would like to be adventurous and try something new in the food department as well! 

How have things been lately? 

Ray
14 years ago 0 35 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello there, Rayoflight,

Yes, documentaries! I've been getting into them more than movies lately. There is just so much to learn in the world, about the world. It also keeps my mind more active and gives me things to ponder about, or even research further if I'm really interested.

For now, I'm going to ignore that pesky urge that's surfacing and go outside to play with my dog for a bit, then maybe browse the web for something interesting and different to try for dinner. ;-)
14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Keesu,

You have pointed out some fabulous ideas! Wow, thank you so much for this post. Those are all great things, I especially liked hearing about you plopping down a game in front of your hubby. I think I will use this sneak-a-game strategy with my boyfriend. Besides games are tons of fun! My family is big on "game nights". It is a blast to get together and play games, eat some food and socialize. The competition can get pretty fierce, just as long as everyone plays fair we are good!

Thanks again,

I have also enjoyed watching documentaries as of late, they are so informative and interesting.

Ray

Reading this thread: