Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Fight the good fight.

9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jakelad,
I agree. Nothing is made better with alcohol. It is poison. I wish I could explain how is sucks is in....the life lost to drinking.  Thank goodness for everyone here. After my laps this week my husband mentioned that when I was active on here I was solid. It's when I get confident that I'm my own enemy. Sounds strange but I guess it goes to being humble. 
9 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
All the efforts and support could not save my friend from a spree. two years sober was not wasted as he drank one day and is back knowing by his own research that a drink did not solve his issues. We all told him but one must find out for himself. Alcoholics are a suborn bunch at times. Good news is he was able to humble himself enough to take the slip and get back to working on a serenity again. 
9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for sharing Jakelad.

I hope this was just a slip for your friend and he is able to get it back under control. He is lucky to have a friend like you who cares and who understands. How are you going to support him through this?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was simply trying to get across to everyone that no situation will ever be improved by getting drunk. 

I agree with you 100 percent. What I was trying to say is there are different set of folks in the fellowship, people who just go to meetings never work the steps and when the going gets tough they just vanish. I am not judging or blaming your friend, I am just sharing what I have observered in the fellowship so far. And some ever after 30 years, like my friend, who let resentments creep into his life, because he lost his nephew in the Iraqi war and succumb to the idea that he can handle alcohol after all these years of abstinence, like the man of thirty in the book talks about. The queer mental twist. Thats why the book says, we have a daily reprieve contingent upon our spiritual condition.
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're exactly right Jake. I hope your friend works his way through it.

All the best,

Dave
The point was that this man has or is about to throw it all away because people places or things that are out of his control have "done him wrong". I was simply trying to get across to everyone that no situation will ever be improved by getting drunk. 
9 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jakelad,
  Sorry to hear about your friends condition. The modern fellowship of AA puts reliance upon meetings, sponsors instead of helping the members work the step and rely on their higher power. 

It is not the matter of giving that is in question, but when and how to give. That often makes the difference between failure and success. The minute we put our work on a service plane, the alcoholic commences to rely upon our assistance rather than upon God. He clamors for this or that, claiming he cannot master alcohol until his material needs are cared for. Nonsense. Some of us have taken very hard knocks to learn this truth: Job or no job -- wife or no wife -- we simply do not stop drinking so long as we place dependence upon other people ahead of dependence on God.

Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house.

A friend that has been sober for 2 years is going through a hard time. He lost his girl friend a few weeks back and has been struggling ever since. Well yesterday he found out that he has cancer, it is operable but still its cancer. He called last night to say it is too much for him, he was getting drunk. 
When life tosses us a ball of **** it hard, at first but sober we can deal with it. In my friends case, he will not earn back the girl by going and getting loaded, he will not improve his health by putting the poison into his body. There is not situation that has ever been improved by alcohol consumption. 
I pray for my friend and for all others that are fighting the cunning baffling power of the bottle. I do this so I can stay sober today because I too am fighting.

Reading this thread: