Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

RE Alcohol and the U.S.

9 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is very true Dave- in the US alcohol is everywhere... I actually got annoyed yesterday with a Maker's Mark commercial on TV. Maybe I'm just more aware of the constant barrage of alcohol everywhere you go, getting sick of the unconscious acceptance and glorification of drinking. Here in the US I can't even go to the pharmacy, there is a aisle of hard liquor conveniently located next to the pain killer aisle? Go figure... Anyways. I agree with desensitizing yourself is the best bet. I picked up a bottle of scotch the other day opened it and just took a couple of smells to see how I would react. I was surprised I wasn't overly craving to sake a sip... I thought of the consequences I would have to deal with if I restart. Your right about dealing with those few hours you would be around drinking in social situations but getting through those times will be rewarding. I've been totaling avoiding anywhere drinking will be present. I know I can't do this forever. -Kirk
9 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Morning Dave,

Good post, and so true. I live in Ontario (near Quebec) and so it used to be a real annoyance to me that across the "border" you can go buy alcohol wherever you want (similar to the US and when we were underage in Ontario that is what we most certainly did) but here in Ontario we're so "controlled". Now I definitely see it as a good thing. How many times have I thought about buying wine after work but knowing that as long as I don't make the extra stop after the grocery store, I won't have wine.  Knowing that prior to a holiday you're going to be waiting in one Hell of a lineup. How easy it would be to just throw in that bottle or that 6 pack into your groceries amongst everything else (same thing in a gas station, etc.).. 

In the past when we've stopped over in the US, we've been like kids in a candy store. 
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all,

I've been traveling a lot as of late and haven't posted as much as I normally would like....but one thing that struck traveling in the states has been the availability of alcohol here. In Canada (Ontario), alcohol sales are controlled by the Ontario government. We have The Beer Store and the LCBO (where you can buy beer, wine, and spirits). Yet here in the U.S. you can buy it anywhere, pretty much in every block, and every time you turn around, whether driving down the street, or getting gas, or gong to virtually any store for that matter, you're faced with alcohol in your face. I really feel for those of you in the U.S. when you're trying to quit because it is so prevalent. At least at home (Ontario) we could avoid the Beer Store or LCBO. That being said, because everyone in my family drinks, I knew couldn't avoid it and went to those stores to purchase alcohol on their behalf, more to desensitize myself to the experience. It was hard (uncomfortable) at first but now I don't give it a second thought and I'm completely neutral on the subject when I do go. I simply don't care and have no urges to buy extra for me (or any), like I used to. This de-sensitization is an important part of getting past this challenge and is one of the reasons we need to embrace social situations, even though they are uncomfortable for the first little while. When you do get into those situations plan ahead and work through your responses in your mind and practice neutrality of mind. It's this anxiety that was the catalyst for drinking in the first place so getting yourself worked up only serves to keep you locked in the place the was the original problem. This Addictive Voice and anxiety can't hurt you. They have no power without you. Remember, when you experience some anxiety, it is actually a good thing because it's the first indicator your brain is re-wiring itself. Yes, it's uncomfortable but "So What?" so is sitting in the dentists chair. You have some anxiety and perhaps a little pain but 2 hours later you forget about it. It's just something that has to be done and you feel a lot better about it later. Hope this makes sense.

All the best,

Dave

Reading this thread: