Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,557 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Social Anxiety......

9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi a77734,

I can completely relate to what you are saying. When I first stopped it took a lot of effort because I was exercising the muscles of my ability to "choose" what I wanted to do and and swim against the current. It took effort and it was uncomfortable and not without it moments of anxiety. It was most difficult at first and then eased as time passed and I did it more. It is very much like working out because we're conditioning our mental muscles to a new way of thinking. I just returned from a trip this week (which is why I haven't posted much) and things are very different. I make my choice easily and the social discomfort has been replaced by confidence and interest in engaging the people I'm with. Now the expectation is I don't drink and won't be getting hammered. It takes practice so when you feel discomfort just remind yourself that it is supposed to be uncomfortable and that is actually a positive thing, not a negative. Like working out, it takes time to condition those muscles. Eventually they become stronger and can take on more difficult challenges. That discomfort most often points to area's we need to address.

Great work!

All the best,

Dave
9 years ago 0 48 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've just had an old drinking buddy stay with me for a few nights and I definitely felt a bit of the anxiety mentioned in this thread. We went out to a few bars the first night then out with some more of my friends last night. It was interesting reading what everyone had written here last week and seeing it come into play (especially last night). I could feel myself wanting to have a drink to 'lighten up' at dinner and be more sociable. I wanted to to be talkative and 'impress' the girls with my conversation like I used to (in reality I'm not sure I actually 'impressed' girls with my drunken talk) instead of sitting there quietly eating my dinner with all sorts of anxious/self-defeating thoughts running around my head. I kept thinking it would be so easy just to have a few beers and have some fun with my friend and the two female friends we were with. I didn't. I knew what would happen if I did. We would have a few drinks and laugh and have fun then the others would want to head home and sleep and I'd still be drinking. I'd head into the city and find a bar and keep drinking.... and drinking... and wake up feeling like **** with no money.

In the end I managed to get through the first night at the bars with my friend unscathed - admittedly it was fairly boring, although I did find it amusing watching all the guys drinking and ogling at women and trying to pick up and reflecting how it wasn't so long ago I was exactly the same. I also got through dinner OK and ended up having a reasonably good time. It was actually quite good after dinner the four of us went for a walk and my female friend said, "you know, I like you better now you don't drink." That was good to hear.  
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kez!
   I really liked what you wrote. I identified with so many points in it.   I was bad about pre-drinking and that always gets us in trouble.  I did that whole scene,  several drinks before a party only to be the drunkest one there and hate myself in the morning.  I didn't look at it as pre-drinking though looked at it as a binge to deal with the party---totally an anxiety thing because I never felt worthy to be at said party/dinner. But, "pre-drinking" is a new frame and I like the wording. It allowed me to go back over different times in my life where I did exactly what you described.  
I'm learning now, that I have to face the situations and learn how to be social without it I'm pushing the anxiety away.    In fact we had a dinner this weekend that would have sent me over the edge in the past.  I embraced it and forced myself to be, social,  forced myself to be in control and when it got awkward I just kept on talking. LOL! It ended up being a great night so it was a win against alcohol.  

You said "No body knows I've been drinking" that made me think.....I used to believe that also but, I think they did know....at least in my case I think they had to know....because like you also said, I too have heard,  "you look so serious" or "are you ok? what's wrong" simply because I'm not the life of the party.  Totally reinforced you hit that on the nose! I never thought of it like that but, it's so true.

Anyway, great post very thought inspiring. Thanks!
Great insight Kez. A lot of us feel exactly the same as you've just described. 
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kez,

What an incredibly insightful and honest response. As I read it I found so many truths about my own mindset and it got me thinking in many different directions. Thank you doing such a great job of describing how so many of us feel about the subject.....

All the best,

Dave
9 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
worth the effort.
9 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Dave, this is a post that really resonates with me. You have such a way of connecting with raw feelings and behaviours and putting them into words. 

I know for sure that I, over the span of many years, have conditioned myself to "need" a base level of alcohol in my system before I would even arrive at a social situation. Particularly family dinners with my husband's family. Three, maybe four glasses of wine before even leaving my own house would give me the "base level" I needed to be on par with everyone else. So that I could walk into somebody else's home and be able to "absorb" the momentary attention that would be focused on me when I entered a kitchen filled with a bunch of people (family) who were already socializing. So that I could look people in the eye and accept the quick welcome hugs, so I could show confident interest in others while leaving behind the natural urge I would normally have to want to crawl into a cupboard and go unnoticed! So that I could be the caring, confident role model (oh, the irony) to the young teenager in the family who I know looks up to me, instead of standing on the other side of the room.So that the words flowed freely instead of being "stuck" and unsure of what to say. One of the toughest things about this "pre-drinking", as I have found, is that it is almost always positively reinforced.  Nobody knows I have already been drinking, but the feedback I get from them in terms of love, conversation, friendliness, and the subsequent positive messages I send to myself about these interactions tell me over and over and over again that I NEED to drink to be lovable. When I don't drink(and this really only ever happened when I was pregnant), the awkwardness and anxiety is palpable.When I'm sober, I can't even tell you how many times people have said "you look so serious" or "you look sad" or " you have such a dirty look on your face!" When I'm not really feeling any of those things. I've been labelled that way my whole life; I don't even know why. I figure it is my contemplative face, haha. The words don't come, and when they do, my mind tells me they are wrong and bad; I am unable to let go of my own anxiety enough to openly care about anybody else, and well, it's just so much easier to stop those messages with alcohol than it is to try to overcome them.  Which is always the challenge with alcohol - right? It's an easy cover up for something that truly needs and deserves work and attention. But when that work happens in silence, when nobody else has any idea how hard you might be working in an "easy" situation like a happy family dinner, it's easy to become discouraged. 
The other side effect of pre drinking that I haven't mentioned.... and I come back to a quote I read in a book a few months ago: "Alcohol works, until it doesn't." My husband's family always has free flowing alcohol at their dinners. So, while they might be on their 3rd or 4th drink of the night, I will be on my 7th or 8th.  But because I've arrived after the 4 I had at home being my "equalizers", I  psychologically start back at 0 and keep up with the group. And then, suddenly, I am drunk; no longer quietly confident and classy. I've doubled their consumption and they don't know it. And the next day, I wake up and feel like I look like the person who just "parties too much", or who can't handle her alcohol, when really, all I was trying to do was function. To be acceptable. To be worthy and lovable. And while I take full responsibility for the social and health consequences, it somehow just doesn't seem fair.

Anyway, that's my rant.  I am trying now to stop the "pre-drinking" and I am trying to counter all of those cognitive distortions that happen in socially anxious situations. It's about being okay with yourself, really. It doesn't matter what anyone else does or thinks. Not easy in practice.... but worth the ef
9 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Another beautiful post Dave.

I think social anxiety can be a big contributer to drinking for many people. Our culture encourages drinking in social situations...for some bars, pubs and clubs are the main avenues for social interaction. It can be a real struggle for someone with a alcohol use problem to relearn how to be social without alcohol and to find new ways to get together with friends. Being social is essential to all humans and loneliness can cause serious emotional and even physical pain. I wonder how all of you stay social without alcohol? How did you overcome the challenges and learn how to be social in a new way?

Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks for sharing guys. Very thought provoking. Yes, I agree with both of you. Social anxiety definitely fueled my drinking. I hate that awkward feeling small talk dries up and people start looking at their feet. By nature I'm introverted, but I do enjoy other peoples company. By drinking it allowed the conversation to flower better (well so I thought).

I'm on day 27 now so I've come across a few social situations without drinking e.g. being in a bar, restaurants etc and have found it OK. The real challenge will come when catching up with old high school friends and family if I decide to go back home around Christmas time. It's at these times I think I'll feel social anxiety the most. 
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dave, It's interesting and profound to realize that it was social anxiety running the show for me. I haven't thought of it in those terms before. And after reading your post, that's exactly what I always did.  I always thought of it as being the fun time party girl but, when I look at it, the truth is I am withdrawn without booze never sure what to say--particularly around large social gatherings.  I don't know what to say ----which is funny because I talk for a living! I always wonder what people are "really thinking about me" its a anxiety thing.  And I have trouble approaching folks at a party or gathering because I don't know what to say.  So, I avoid it or let my husband do the talking.  It's really bad if he knows them better than me then I really feel like odd man out.  If they start talking about the past---then I wonder--does he miss those days? Does he wish he was still single and running in that crowd? Do these people think I'm good enough for him? Pretty enough, thin enough, funny enough, smart enough?  I know lookng back that mine goes back to younger day's.  I would feel welcomed by an older crowd and when we went to parties and drank.  I felt like I belonged to the party crowd and then felt like I belonged when in a bar and further on when I had a drink in a binge at home, I could ring up  people and talk (not some of my finer moments).  I've had many a bad night due to not knowing when to stop drinking in an effort to feel like I belong. Different problem than secret binge drinking but, still a problem.  Moving on to your point.  If we look at how we enjoy activities when sober and how we can actually remember the event, etc.  I have had that experience in the last 60 day's several times and it's felt empowering.  However, I still get the sick in my belly feeling when I know I have to go to a social event.  Now, if it's for work, I feel in control of that and it's different.  But, just social, I'm a mess.  Trust is a huge thing for me too. I'm always going to leave before i get left. I'm adopted and I think it goes way back to that. On the same lines huge fear of abandonment for me.  Escape even as an adult because I didn't stop to look at what a great life I had if I would just live it  and not drink it.  It's like we have a cup with a hole in the bottom and we're always trying to fill it up. Alcohol fills it for a moment...Then it's empty again.  Once we really look at what's caused the hole or holes we can fix them/fill them up ourselves without booze.  

Long winded way for me to agree with your post! Sorry about that. I just type and type! LOL!

Reading this thread: