Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

First time self check in when out last night!

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Zulu1010, 

Way to stay strong and avoid a situation you knew would be difficult for you!  Continue to make a list of things to do to replace a night out that involves drinking, like Jessica suggested - going to a movie.  
What else would be on your list?
Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I stayed home with my roomie and chilled out on our front porch... had champagne and wine but still think it was better then being in a trigger situation and going overboard had 4 drinks tonight! did you see a movie jessica?
12 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A movie could be a great substitute to partying.  :)  I might try the same.
12 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,
Thanks for the advice, Im writing this slightly hungover because I started drinking more wine after my roomate went to bed and I did have in total 7 drinks over the night including supper I feel physically not so good and sad that it has only taken two weeks for me to start reverting back to old habits. Tonight is the party at my friends, I made a mask and bought wine and champagne to share with everyone but the fact i started last night tells me maybe I should not go tonight and do something else like go to a movie.

12 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Zulu1010,

When it doubt early in your cutting down it might be best to play it safe and not drink. Work on bigger triggers (hanging out with a friend who crinks a lot) when you are farther along. In either case, make sure you have a solid plan before going to the party. Once you decide what to do. What are some strategies you are going to put in place to ensure you stick with it?

Ashley, Health Educator
Ya I definately will aim for 4 next time and tell myself that after 4 it isn't worth it... also maybe try to time the drinks out across the night and make sure i alternate with a non alcoholic drink! I got invited to a masquerade party Saturday night so maybe I will do it there so I can make it home safely after on the bus too.  I will do that or plan to not drink as my friend who I tend to drink too much with will be there, I wonder if drinking nothing would be better there?
12 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Zulu,

That does sound like good progress! How did it feel to be in control?

It sounds like next time you would like to stick with 4 drinks. What will you do differently next time to ensure you stick with 4 drinks?

Ashley, Health Educator
Last night I went to a Edward Sharpe concert downtown Toronto with my friend, I bought a bottle of wine so we could have a glass at home before we went. We each had one which was good then went out for dinner where I had a martini. At the concert I had 3 beers, my goal for the night was 4 drinks max which I did go over but I also was checking in with myself after each one before I got another. I asked myself if I was feeling happy or becoming too drunk, I alternated with water at the concert and the last one I told myself I was not feeling as great and needed to stop so I did. I know that 6 was too much and that 4 would have been a better choice bc I stopped enjoying it after that number but it was interesting that I even noticed. Usually after 4 I can't stop myself and don't think about how Im feeling or how I will feel once the next drink kicks in, I guess it's some progress!

Reading this thread: