Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

day 10

9 years ago 0 56 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

hello 

thank you Dave . you are right i do need to leave the past in the past i have been dwelling in it for 21 years.... wow what a waste. have to let go of the hurts n resentments i have been holding on too but dont know how.... guess thats where counselor comes in. you know when someone starts a juicing fast? some people wonder why they feel so badly for the first 3-5 days ....and the reason is because your body is detoxifying. thats why some people dont continue because they dont realize thats whats going on and stop because they feel so gross and sluggish and really badly ....but then once the toxins are out and they continue to juice then they feel great ...well i feel like im in the part of the toxics are all coming out . i feel low and like gross with emotional emotional guck. but I know if i continue this path i will feel good at some point. just unsure how to do it ...letting go of resentment is hard . i have tried. sorry I dont mean to sound so negative . I do feel good and am very proud of my 22 days and commitment to not drink ever for sure!

9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Junes,

I hope you've had a good weekend. You bring up a lot of important points. Regarding the past, it is what it is...the past. Learn from your mistakes and resolve any issues that you can, and if can't then move on. Focusing on the negatives of the past is a 'no-win' situation. You CAN'T change the past! Look at it from a different angle in an effort to learn from it. We ALL make huge mistakes when we're drinking and regret them. The important thing now is you are walking away from that and each step you take forward means you move farther away from those issues . You cannot get closer to the past, only farther away. Don't stay anchored there, cut the chains and move on (which you are doing now so 'Good Work!'). 

So you and alcohol don't mix. No big deal. It doesn't mix with ANYONE that drinks too much. 

You have a really good attitude Junes. Stay focused and very moving forward.

All the best,

Dave
9 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 why is it so hard for me to not drink or just have one? have no clue 

Great questions. I can just say there is a section of the population across the world that are in this category. Back in 1930s, the co-founder of AA was in the similar situation. If you read his story, you will see how couldn't just drink one drink of any kind. He learns from the doctor that the alcoholic is weak willed when it comes to booze and that he is bodily different (allergy). That gave him great relief, so he thought knowledge could sober him up. But he gets drunk. This time the doctor tells his wife, he will be brain dead if he continues to do this. Then fear sobers him for a while, but then again he gets drunk again. 3rd time around, after meets his friend who had sobered up using some spiritual principles that he sobers up never to drink again.

Thank you Vincenza 

If I want to really give it a good go I have to learn to face th epast to keep it where it belongs in the past and not run from things ( through alcohol) Its going to be really hard. I know . but I cannot keep torturing myself. I am not a good drink I turn into a different person and something always happens 99 percent of the time and its not good . like i say stupid things or behave stupidly etc and always feel bad about it next day. I have proved time and time again me and alcohol DO NOT mix why i keep drinking , why is it so hard for me to not drink or just have one? have no clue . but the fact remains its not for me. and i have been told this by others who have been around me when drinking . maybe one day I will understand more .

9 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Junes, 

Congrats on Day 16++++....  Hope you're continuing to do well and glad to hear you reconnected with your counsellor.  Here for you every step of the way!
Vincenza, Health Educator

Thank you Ashley and Sian 

yes i am on day 16. I did how ever go back to talk a counselor who helped me in the past . Ihave to deal with my [ast in a healthy mannor, And yes Sian i must start taking care of myself also . \\i am so harsh to myself right now in my life and realized I have been all those years back.

Thank you for your replies 

9 years ago 0 100 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Junes, I remember all kinds of past baggage that resurfaced in my first couple of months sober. What I learned to do was write a short journal entry of the memory (private - not online!) Then I could give myself permission to "park" that problem until the time was right to work it through. There's no rush. It's normal for your emotions to be all over the place at this stage. You'll feel better if you focus on looking after yourself physically - plenty of rest, naps, walks, healthy food, scented candles, bubble baths, early nights, whatever it takes to have a healthy balanced day. Later on you may be able to get counselling to work through the issues, I did after quite a few months alcohol free. All the very best - Sian
9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats Junes!

These feelings are normal and part of the healing process. Facing these feelings can be really hard but they are essential. Trying to think about how to make it up to those who we have hurt can be constructive. Also, how can you make it up to yourself? Regaining belief in ourselves can take time but it is a journey with rich rewards.

Ashley, Health Educator

Hi Cassy 

yes its just like all of a sudden my mmemory wants to work and these things are poppping up and jsut remining me of jsut how drunk and dumb i was you know . And I a not trying to feel sorry for myself ihave done that for way too long its just making thngs harder . Not that i want to drink and make it worse I mean i just spent years running from issues one way or another whether it be alcohol or working alot etc so now that i am jsut me and jsut trying to get through its a bit hard. 

9 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can totally relate to what your feeling. I guess, they are just reminders for us to keep away from alcohol, but I understand how horrible it feels to slowly "remember" all the crappy things we have done while drunk. 

Reading this thread: