Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

looking for inspiration

12 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Athena you are one of my inspiration tools you have giving more hope that I can ask for. You are truly inspiring and keep up the fight
Thanks 
 Motivation.
12 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Shade.

You are so right in so much of what you say.  We need to find new ways of dealing with old problems.  Thank you for your support.

Athena
12 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Athena

Im new here. I just wanted to try and share some thoughts. From my perspective we drink because we have pains and wounds in our life and we dont know how to heal them. So we drink to be numb. Its such a high cost to us though. It doenst just numb us but it also takes away our will to try other alternatives as well.

I think we are people who need new solutions to old problems. And coming here and being willing to explore that is a fantastic step towards new perspectives. The bottle isnt our friend. It isnt our solution. And it is Ok to not have all the answers. Its Ok to go looking for new ways to deal with life. You should be proud that are are brave enough to ask for help!

Hang in there Lady, Im here too and I'll encourage you all I can!

12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Athena, 

Thank you for opening up and sharing this with us. As you mentioned you are a smart, talented and caring individual. You are worth the hard work needed to get better. Foxman makes a great point, addiction is able to trick you. Stay focused, attend your outpatient treatment and work hard towards your goals.

If you had a friend in this situation what advice would you give them?

Samantha, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is the 1st step in Alcoholics Anonymous:

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol, that our lives had become unmanageable.

When it comes to Alcohol we are weak willed, but we may be intelligent and successful in all other areas. Something happens that our mind tricks us into picking up the 1st drink and then the phenomenon of craving kicks in and we end up drunk. Probably you thought, you will just have 1 glass of wine. But after you completed the first, your body would have asked for more slowly you have drank 1/2 a bottle. 
12 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am feeling so discouraged and yet at the same time I am closer than ever to taking real action to make some changes in  my life...

I am entering the second step of starting an outpatient day treatment program and yet tonight I am halfway through my second bottle of wine and my husband has taken the kids and their friends out for fancy desserts (ie to get them out of the house away from me).  I crave time alone. When I am sober - I am either at work or with the kids  --- and yet strangely the very rare times that I do have to myself I am drunk.  drunk. drunk.

I am smart, talented, caring, kind and creative but for some stupid reason that is not enough.  I have never suffered through terrible trauma and I grew up in a 2 parent family that was a little repressed. but otherwise stable.  I have good genes and a good environment.  So why I am I so tormeneted???!!!!!  The only conclusion that I can come to is that I am somehow broken, flawed, innately damaged or weak.

I don't want to sound self pitying.  I know that there are many people in the world who deal with much greater hardships than my own.  But I am so sad and so lonely and so completely lacking in confidence. I don't understand how I came to be at this place, but I am (desperately) hoping that someone out there has some words of encouragement that will help me get to the intake appointment I have next week.

Athena

Reading this thread: