Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Working on it

13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there,

I don't want to endorse being a couch potato, but there are great books and TV series' that you can rent by the week (so you can watch all the episodes). Some of the shows are very intelligent and thought provoking- also, documentaries are so informative and can be found on pretty well every subject you could ever imagine. How about taking a virtual  trip around the world? A really good book can be totally engrossing and reading is not something you can easily do while drinking!

I advocate for getting out of one bad habit by replacing it with another habit that is more/equally enjoyable, just to make the change- it doesn't have to be the 'final habit'. Don't get me wrong- substituting exercise is a super option!! But if that seems too high of a goal right now, then be gentle with yourself and start small. Once you are out of the habit of drinking every/most evening(s), you might be more inspired to do other more challenging activities like walks, going to the gym, book clubs, meeting a friend for tea, etc. Hope I am making sense!! It's all about baby steps. And then taking pride in, and finding more motivation from, those important steps.  

Any other ideas? 

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Truffle,

One thing that really helped me when I stopped was to go for a walk right after my early dinner. I know it is getting a little cold out, well here in Canada anyway, but it helps to kick ourselves out of the house. Then I would curl up with a good book and read and go to bed early. Good luck in finding what will help you. Do you used to have any hobbies like drawing, knitting, etc? Maybe get back to those...
13 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi truffle... so nice to "meet" you.  When you get lonely or bored it would be really great if you could come back here again and help us newbies get acclimated.  Maybe start your own blog?  Share more of your experience and insight?  Your recent postings have been so helpful.  Thank you.
13 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Truffle,

Congratulations on getting through the day!  Nice work!

This is actually a great discussion topic and I am interested in hearing member suggestions!

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well I didn't drink yesterday and I plan on not drinking today

The problem is I live alone and sometimes get bored and lonely so having a drink just sounds like a great idea.  I feel pretty good even though I didnt drink yesterday but I did have trouble going to sleep

Has anyone found any good distractings when you are bored in lonely?  Besides drinking of course

Reading this thread: