Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

A slip is not a fail !

4 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations for your 13 years Foxman!

Keep going Gus, you seem very determined to fight

Have a great weekend everybody!
4 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Acceptance is the key Gus, you are so right. So also, I came to realize that if I dont get over the resentments and other traits, I will be driven back to that state of mind, where the mind cant think straight. It wants relief, and it wants it now. Thats one of the key element in recovery, I have to be on guard rest of my life. Its like being a diabetic. I have to keep my side of the street clean. Last week I completed 13 years of continuous sobriety, this is a miracle for a person who was caught in that vicious cycle. What a freedom to live without that obsession and fear that I will drink. Never understood the concepts presented in the book but with the help of people who tried it, I was able to understand and work the reminder of the steps to experience the promises.
4 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the feedback Lynn and High Tower. I was an avid user of this site for 3 years, when I was quit drinking. Then I had some very stressful things happen in my life. I used those things as excuses to drink. Then I stopped coming to the site. I think I was too ashamed of my failure. 

But your right, just because you fail, doesn’t mean you have to stay failed. You can always pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again. That’s where I am now. I am back on track. I’m just taking it one day at a time. I don’t know what will happen in the future, but I do know I’ll never let myself get trapped by alcohol again. I have too much to enjoy in life right now to let alcohol ruin it. 

I have accepted this fact: Some people can “handle” alcohol better than I can. I know I can’t handle it well, so I have given up trying to handle it. It’s easier for me to not try and contend with the pull of alcohol anymore. For me, it easier to stop all together. I am at peace with my decision. 

I hope you have a great day everyone! 
Gus 

4 years ago 0 347 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I noticed the same thing when I was reading and reading the posts years ago.  This journey we are on is not about winning and losing, success or failure.  I haven't drank in years but if I drink tonight does that make me a failure?  In my opinion the only time we truly fail is when we give up the fight.  

If we are in here we probably don't have a healthy relationship with alcohol and in some way can relate to everyone's story.  Those that have been alcohol free for a period of time understand the struggles that are voiced in the posts.  What a a better place to come and say that you didn't accomplish what you wanted than a place that everyone understands.  

So to echo High Tower, if your journey has not gone as smooth as planned, come in here and tell us about it.  Support will be here for you.  

4 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had a rough day yesterday and I posted about it in the introduce yourself section. I didn't slip but I could have, it was a fine line. I distracted myself by reading older posts in the forum, I went back to about 2015. Lots of stories and journeys in those posts.

One of things I noticed on a few occasions a person would slip and then feel too shamed to come back and post on the forum. This is exactly the wrong thing to do, Isolate yourself when you need the support the most to get back on track. A few even changed names or created new accounts. I urge everyone when they slip get back on track again as soon as possible and use all the tools and help you did when you first started this journey.

No one is here to judge you, not even a little bit. We are all pushing and pulling each other to help not only our members but to help ourselves in this path back to where we have control of our lives again. We each have or own journeys and only we can travel along it. We get support and guidance from the people and tools around us but only you can walk it.

Not to beat a dead horse but please if you have a set back try and learn from it and reach out as soon as possible. The quicker you get back on track the easier it will be to achieve your goals. 

This has been bouncing around my head all day I needed to verbalize it, I hope it helps someone possibly even me...lol

High Tower

Reading this thread: