Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

New Year

4 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lynn,

I also had control the next day and have not drank since. I suddenly had like something that crossed my mind that said you have control over everything else. Why can't I control alcool? It is working for now, will see. I keep adding post-it and I think they really help me.

I think the car will not drive me to the liquor store. If I go there it will be because I know I can control myself lol

Have a nice day!
4 years ago 0 347 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hors controle,  that's great that you had some control over the alcohol.  Have you added new notes lately?  I hope the car is letting you decide where it goes. ;)  

Lynn
Hi Lynn,

I keep adding post-it every time I realized another advantage kicks in. I have over a dozen now and keep adding. I had a couple of glasses last night, that urge.... but I did not finish the last glass. 

Like Foxman said once, the car just decided to go to the liquor store.

I kept reminding myself how much better I feel when I am sober and did not feel like  I had to empty the bottle. I was happy to be in control for once.

hors controle, that's great that you gave your body time to adjust to sleeping without alcohol.  The difference is big, isn't it?  Have you continued with the Post-It note reminders?

Lynn
Hi Vee,

How are you doing? I finally had my first full night of sleep. It took 9 days of sobriety finally instead of 7 like the last time I stopped but it is encouraging and it feels good.
You are so right Lynn. I think I could fall asleep before when I touch the pillow because I probably passed out most of the time. Then you wake up after a few hours of horrible sleep and cannot go back to it until it is time to get out of bed.

Thank you Vee. You will notice it only gets better and Dave it really does feel good not to have that awful feeling of dry mouth because of dehydration does'nt it.

Take care and one moment at the time
4 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Regarding sleep, it's nice to get up not so dehydrated and also remembering actually going to bed the night before.
I wish you all well. One moment at a time.

4 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much Lynn and Hors,

Lynn it is so true in regards to quality ! I also started to notice that when i do drink i tend to wake up in the middle of the night and cannot sleep was horrible, last night was a better night . one day at a time . 

Hors i love how you said that accept the fact it takes a week . you know it will take time but you accept it and will get through it!
It took me some time to adjust to sleeping without alcohol.  While my body was adjusting, the number of hours of sleep was less, but the quality was better.  Once my body adjusted, I found myself going to sleep earlier and earlier.  It felt so good to sleep.  There is a saying that I found to be true---there's a difference in passing out and falling asleep.

Hang in there Vee and hors controle!

Lynn
Thank you Lynn. I really appreciate your encouragement.

Vee, it takes a few days to be able to sleep normally. It is my third day today and I hope to sleep well but I do accept the fact it might take a week though. Keep up the good work!!

Reading this thread: