Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

New Perspective

10 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
same here!! i feel deepening my self-love will be the key to success here .... i have hated myself in the past when i relapsed and felt like a total failure. now i see it as falling but not failing!! as Kathy says, this issue was developed over years and we all have our own personal motives and experiences that led us there. so quitting is probably not just magically going to happen over night and i think by lovingly and honestly accepting ourselves totally and without restrictions through these struggles we dramatically increase the chances for success! i have learned that when i accept myself totally, with everything that i am in all areas of my being it takes away a LOT of stress and pressure. i am very sensitive to pressure so i try be as compassionate and understanding towards myself as i can, yet being aware of making up any excuses! i have to take FULL responsibility for my actions and inactions BUT this can as well be done in a loving way. :) i want to thank you all for being here, i know not that i am not alone in this! <3

10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome perspective!! Vincenza, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
me too!  I just feel like 'wow! other people really actually know what I am experiencing'.  It is very encouraging
10 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kathy,

completer deja vu here.  I could have written this myself (and I suspect this is very similar for many of the others who are in this forum).

Learning to deal with ourselves and set backs seems to be a huge part of delaing with our drinking, and I find that this forum helps to get my head around that.

Rob
10 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In the past I have tried to stop drinking many times. What ended up happening each time, is I would make it a few days, but if I had a drink say on the 3rd day, I would feel like a failure & extremely discouraged! This would make me think, "screw it" or "I can't do it" and ultimately I would go buy beer feeling like a failure- again.  Since being on this site, I have found that I am looking at this from a new perspective and I am very happy about it!  It makes me realize that for some of us, this is a journey & some days we are able to resist, and maybe some days we can't, but that does not mean we/I have failed!  I just joined a few days ago, and I now feel that just making any attempt to make lifestyle changes to better myself is progress. :)   ..... It took me 15 years to develop this problem, and I am no longer going to fault myself for not being able to just stop one day completely 

Reading this thread: