Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Day nine of sobriety

13 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ray,

I'm doing fine. I am starting my fifth week under control, meaning I don't drink alone and I only have no more than 2-3 glasses of wine with dinner. I must admit I sometime have the toughts of wanting to drink a little more, to get a buzz but that would be way to dangerous.

I am very lucky to have my boyfriend support with this. I sometime wondered if I would be able to stick to it if I were by myself.

How about you Ray? Still sticking to your goals?
13 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi hors controle,

How has your progress been? I am curious to know how your weekend went?

Ray
13 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulation Clarence!

I am so happy for you. You tried again and it looks like it's working for now. One day at the time.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Clarence,

Congratulations on 9 days sober.  This is an amazing achievement.  It sounds like you have really had a shift in how you view this.  In a year when you are still sober how do you think your life will be different?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wonderful Clarence. That is very true for a real-alcoholic: I guess you are referring to this segment in the big book.

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

Also the book says:

Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power.
13 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone, the last time I posted I had dedicated my quit to my late father which I really meant but we all know how things can go evern though we really want to happen that way, it may not. I drank real heavy after that second day of sobriety and try to drink myself to some other place than I was but when I woke up the next morning nothing was different except I had disappointed myself.  I had to ask myself is this what I want out of life and if it was than just go ahead and submit to it.  I thought about everyone I love and I thought about my hopes and dreams of just living a normal life and doing the things I want to do for myself and my family.  Drinking has stopped me from doing all that, I can't achieve anything trying to live that lifestyle. I am nine days sober, first time in a long time and can credit that to the decision to pull out the little blue book I got years ago from a AA meeting that I have kept. It said in this book that willpower alone can't beat this addiction and thats all I have used. I have decided that I will hand over my quit to a higher power and except some help. It has been working along with continous reading of the blue book and this program. Thank everyone for the advice

Reading this thread: