Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Newbie who really wants to quit

6 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How are you doing Freddy? Day one here!
6 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Freddy64.

It is very common for individuals with PTSD and anxiety to self medicate with alcohol. You are right, initially alcohol may relax you for a few moments or hours but in the long run and the next day your anxiety and PTSD symptoms will be worse. I am glad you have decided to abstain as I think this will help you to feel better physically and mentally. Are you currently seeking any treatment for the anxiety and PTSD? Often people find treatment of underlying mental health issues helps them to stay or get sober. 

I look forward to reading more from you. 

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You may want to read more about alcoholism from the book Alcoholics Anonymous:

https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous

There are AA related online groups also, if you wish to learn more about the 12 steps

http://e-aa.org/forum/index.php

Is one of them and active and maintained by people around the world so you will find help pretty quickly.

6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello, I am a middle aged woman from Australia and I am desperate to get sober but I just can't seem to make it happen. I have PTSD and anxiety disorders, and somehow that brief respite that alcohol offers just keeps lulling me back in.  I am so glad I found this group because I am also extremely isolated because of my heavy drinking and because of my anxiety. Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Reading this thread: