Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

New to this site

11 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Matt and thanks so much for your positive input on our group. It really does help having an on going dialog with "friends" out there and it keeps us, or me at least, very honest. Sometimes it hurts to put out there my weakness but it also does my soul good to be able to share my true feelings in a non judgemental forum. 
11 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think I have the eating problem too, since I've reduced my medication, I started to eat a lot, mainly veggi, not starch. I could finish a 16oz spring mix within  a day. I try to avoid starch since I want to munch all the time, I stick on greens and veggi.
So far so good, I start to have no medication for my depression today, even though i am quite restless, I have no intention to drink more than 2 friut wine cooler. Be a Moga!!
Thanks Turquoise, start the Moderate Gang. I keeps me remember to control!!
BP
11 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Matt - starting a more relevant  thread name is a good idea. I've started one under "Dealing with Urges" called Moga. See you guys there!
11 years ago 0 218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Spiritwolf and welcome to the Alcohol Help Center Support Group.

No need to be nervous about posting as you have come to the right place for non-judgmental positive feedback, a support network, and for getting the help you need. Thank you very much for sharing your story.

Continue to look through the forums where you will find members and threads in which you can relate, and information you will find invaluable. I see some members have already provided you with some welcome feedback.

Begin to go through the program where you can learn more about yourself which will help you better understand your addiction. You can check back as much as you'd like to let us know how you are doing and know that we are always here to answer any questions you may have or to provide you with some feedback

All the best and welcome again,

Matthew - Health Educator
11 years ago 0 218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi to the Mogas,

You have come up with a great idea and it is awesome to see the support network you have built for each other.
I was wondering if you could perhaps start another thread (e.g, Moga talk, drinking in moderation, The Moderation Gang) that other members will be able to easily locate and get involved in. It will be a great spot for members to discuss some of your ideas, stories, and successes while being able to share some of their own stories of drinking in moderation. 

Much Appreciated,

Matthew - Health Educator
11 years ago 0 161 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Spiritwolf, hi, I just joined a week ago, this is a very friendly thread. Welcome and good luck.

Camiol, Turquoise, all you Mogas, hang in there.

Marylizy, I'm away from home so not so much time online. Excited to see your message now! I'm in Gainesville. Cool. Really small world. I really like our part of Florida. :)

Two beers with friends last night at a Mexican restaurant. I think the weekend went pretty well. Tonight will be with non-drinking friends again (but I said before I won't expect one situation to be easier than another). Going back home tomorrow and will definitely need strength to keep the old patterns from reforming.

Hi Elizabeth.
I hope you are doing good this Monday. Did you get my reply? I am just south of Palatka Florida..Do you know where that is? Another really hot day. Stay cool and hydrated..Mary

Great to have you back here Turquoise. I just checked my diary for the past month and I have had more no drink days then drinking days so that really makes me very happy. Today I am using the 15 minute rule of the time an urge lasts to deal with any possible slips. I will set a timer while doing some other task to get my mind in a different place, well maybe not a timer. I am planning on having a cup of tea and a biscuit when it is my usual cocktail hour. So I do have a plan of attack like a good MOGA should. It is all of you out there keeping me honest with myself that makes this much easier then doing it alone. So I will say it again and again, THANK YOU ALL for your support. Have a great Monday and a fantastic week.
11 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning, Mogas. It's good to be here. My eating question was actually kind of rhetorical, trying to compare it to a day of drinking a little too much. I'm not talking about drinking to the point of blacking out, or causing problems in your personal life, or being hungover the next day. I've mostly made my peace with the occasional day that I eat more than I want to, because in general I am very happy with my physical appearance. It doesn't mean I'm a failure at eating healthy, and it certainly doesn't make me give up entirely and go back to my old ways of eating. Compare this to a day you might have a bit too much alcohol, after many days of either abstinence or very moderate drinking. Does that mean you're a failure at moderation?

Drinking too much on a regular basis -- well, that's why we're here. The Mogas are all looking for ways to get healthy, which might (or might not) include permanent abstinence. The thing is; we have all been drinking considerably less since we joined this site. Right? That is such a good start. And Vicenza is right -- the "Toolbox" section on this site has tons of good ideas to keep us on that track. Hopefully each day and each week will find us making more progress in that direction.

Maybe every one of us is destined to become the utter moderation failures that AA would have us think, but if that's the case I have to prove it to myself through my own experience, instead of having it lectured to me from a book or someone else's experience. I appreciate how the health educators on this site constantly ask questions about how we feel, or what we are planning to do with our new information. It is a very personal, scientific quest for each one of us.

Perhaps a year from now some (or all) of us will have decided that total and permanent abstinence is our only answer. Reaching that conclusion through my own experience will be a hugely powerful argument -- and honestly the only argument that will work for me. I do hope everyone is truthfully recording all their drinking in the diary on this site. It helps so much to be able to look back at it and see your patterns. The patterns will indicate over time if moderation is or isn't working for each one of us.....
11 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Spiritwolf and welcome to the site.  Moga is the acronym for Moderation Gang.  A group of us decided we wanted to try moderate drinking rather than abstinence and Turquoise found the name for us.  You will find that we do not judge or tell you what you should do, we are all here for the same reason and we understand each others struggles with alcohol.  Feel free to join our conversation if you feel comfortable in doing so.  Currently we have about 6 of us who have been talking on a regular basis, but we welcome new friends.  I think you'll find that you will be able to relate to some of our stories and situations.  

Turquoise don't feel bad about suggesting the challenge, it was a great idea.  I'm sorry that I didn't follow through with it.  I am disappointed in myself because it was something I could have done, but I was selfish and chose to drink. You were not being selfish at all in suggesting this challenge, we are all grown women who made our choices.  Yes I feel bad that I didn't follow through on it, but that was selfish on my part to give up so easily.  It was all about me (I want to have drinks and let loose), I didn't think about supporting this group challenge and to me, that was a very thoughtless move on my part.  Today is again a brand new day and my battle with abstinence for the week begins.  I plan to not drink at all like last week, and who knows, maybe this time I'll make it through the upcoming weekend.....that would be awesome.  Hugs to all of you, have a great day.

Reading this thread: