Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

New to this site

11 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ok so I'm checking in on last time before we head out. Elizabeth I am also in the habit of fixing a drink or having a glass of wine while cooking dinner only the drinking continued til bedtime.  Now I mix myself a tasty drink of club soda with diet cranberry juice.  It works wonders for distracting me from booze, and its basically calorie free.  It's like having a drink without the vodka.  Sometimes I'll add a twist of lime to it as well.  Put lots of ice and sip it with a straw.  On other occasions I'll make myself a virgin strawberry mojito which is also a great tasting drink without the rum.  I've had days where I was determined I was going to drink, but instead made myself one of my virgin cocktails and it totally takes my mind off having a "real" drink.  If you decide to try one of my cocktails, let me know how it works for you.  Ok I'm off to have a few hours of relax time.
11 years ago 0 161 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for your greetings, Vincenza and Camiol. I think I will really benefit from the support this group will offer. I participated in a support group online once before, when I had my hysterectomy, and it was enormously helpful. So, thank you for listening and responding. I am hopeful about changing.

Vincenza, that's a good idea to change up the way the evening of drinking starts. Could definitely change the way the evening ends! I'll come up with something to break that pattern. I've tried having a glass of water instead, or as well, right there on the counter. Doesn't work. I need something tastier than water. Maybe iced herb tea. Okay, I'll try it tonight. Thank you! 

My husband is really supportive about my wish to reduce my drinking, and he wants to also, and I think he's right that I need outside help. Funny thing, though, about a year ago, after the accident, when I confided in my doctor, he asked me if I drink in the morning, and when I said, "No, yuck," he said, "You don't have a drinking problem." I think polishing off a whole bottle of wine in one night, on a regular basis, is a problem. Sometimes it's a whole bottle after a beer or two, or a whole bottle plus part of another. Not good.

Camiol, good luck with your quiet time. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

Hi Elizabeth and welcome.  I'm glad you found my thread and that you posted in here.  We are all struggling with the same pattern as you, some of us are finding ways to abstain, others like myself are still trying to find that one distraction that gets the habit under control.  I am still at the point where I can only go a few days without alcohol then I fall into my old pattern again.  I have been able to control myself a bit more with the support of the other awesome ladies in this thread, and I think you'll find that by becoming accountable to someone, it does help make it a bit easier to put the booze aside, or limit how much you drink.  We absolutely will not judge you for any slips, we've all been there.  It's just nice to have this group to turn to when you want to talk, and get the support of people who are facing the same addiction.  If you have time, read through this thread, I'm sure you will find a lot of similarities between all of us.  We have all become great friends and welcome any newcomers with open arms.  

I had a pretty big slip Friday night, the first in quite some time where I don't recall the last part of the evening.  I do drink a few times a week but for a few weeks Ive been able to control myself by limiting it to three drinks at the most. This Friday I wasn't able to control it and I regretted it yesterday.  We had a festival here in our city this weekend and my husband and I took our daughter to some of the events yesterday and last night.  I didn't drink and I really didn't have any desire to drink.  Oddly I woke up this morning feeling like I had a massive hangover....weird.  My head was pounding, my stomach was turning and I felt like I hadn't slept.  Maybe it's a delayed hangover from Friday night?  I felt ok yesterday after my Friday binge.  I am heading to the cottage today for a few hours of relaxation, my daughter dips going to spend a couple nights out there with a friend and my in laws.  I'll miss her terribly, and I hope that with her not being home, that I will use that as an excuse to drink.  

Hope all of you are having a great day.  It felt like forever since I checked in even though it was only a day.  I'll check in later, after I return from the cottage.  

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goodmorning ElizabethRRRR,

Welcome to the AHC online community!  I'm glad your husband directed you this way.  You've joined a very supportive group of people with similar experiences and goals as you.  It helps to be involved in discussions to learn, prepare and empower yourself for your personal goal of cutting back your drinking. 

A good place to start is to work through the program.  In the 'Toolbox' section of the website, there is some great information to help you prepare for the first 2 weeks whether your goal is to drink less or stop drinking altogether. 

You mention that you start drinking in the evening as you begin to prepare dinner...how can you change up this 'ritual' to eliminate the drinking aspect?  What can you replace it with?  

Vincenza, Health Educator
Hi, I just joined (and posted on this thread) and I'm looking for suggestions on how to outsmart myself into not drinking so much!
Hello, I just joined the center. A few months ago, my husband emailed me two links for online self help groups, and this one looked the best. I join until this morning. For several years, I have been trying to get myself back on track with more exercise and less drinking, but my resolve only lasts a few days. July 8 was my 8th hysterversary, or anniversary of my hysterectomy, and for all those years it hurt to exercise. Now I can finally exercise without abdominal pain, but the years have taken their toll and I have lost my figure. So on July 8, 2012 I resolved again to exercise, get my figure back, and stop drinking too much. 

I'm doing great with the exercise program, but I have failed to cut back my drinking. I mostly drink at home, but not bringing it home doesn't work. Clearly keeping a little journal to show how I am meeting my goals is not enough for me. So I am looking for encouragement, support, and a big dose of accountability for getting myself together. Typically the drinking starts while I am cooking dinner and just continues until bedtime. Every morning I want to change, and every night I don't change.

I am 52, well-educated, active, healthy, I have a good career, and I don't want to be a statistic--the professional woman with a quiet little drinking problem.

A year ago, last April, I lost consciousness and ran my car into the back of a truck while I was driving to work. This should have been a serious wake up call, but I fell back into old patterns all too soon. I got a total medical work up and there is nothing wrong with me. I was drinking too much and not getting enough sleep, and I just blanked out.

I think it would help me to have your support.
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wishing you all a great weekend!   Please share how you plan to spend it and what your strategy is to control or abstain from drinking. Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Morning Ladies.
The weekend is here and I am going to try and moderate my drinking this evening. Good luck to all of you. Have a safe one...
11 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning everyone. I had a weird night last night - I went to a pizza/beer place that's closing next week and had one 20oz pint of strong beer. I hadn't really planned it, and it didn't taste that good, but I drank it anyway. (2-3 standard drinks) And then my breathalyzer wasn't working (now I plan to buy a really good expensive one), but I know from last time I did the same thing that I was probably at .05 by the time I left. Even so, I never got a good buzz, just a headache. Certainly a controlled drinking experience, but kind of pointless. And I only have a minute this morning, but I wanted to tell you all hello and it's great to read your posts and know that we are all going through the same struggles. Thanks for being here, and I hope you have a great weekend.
Good morning ladies.  BP I'm happy to hear that your withdrawal symptoms are improving, and that you are feeling better.  I haven't heard anything about the job and at this point I have lost any confidence that I am going to see an offer.  It seems that you are doing great with cutting back on your alcohol intake, that is wonderful news.  How are you able to control yourself with limiting the amount you drink?  I am amazed at your strength and determination.  

Hope you are also doing great and it's wonderful that you have such a supportive brother.  I wish I could have that type of relationship with my siblings.  I don't speak to my sister or mother, but my brother and I have a friendly relationship.  We have moments where we confide in each other and maybe in time we will become very close.  He also does not speak to my sister or my mother either.  Yes we have a very screwed up family.  I wish I felt I had a family member to talk to about my addiction, alas I don't feel comfortable discussing it with any of them, so I depend on you ladies for support.  I thank you for being here for me.  I am also going to see if I can find kudzu here in my city.  I hope one of the health food stores will carry it.  Anything to help with the cravings will be welcome.  

I was able to abstain last night, I kept very busy with laundry, yard work and some housecleaning.  I think my best friend is coming over today, we haven't seen each other in a couple weeks.  I'm sure we will have drinks together on the deck, but im going to try to limit my drinks by exchanging between a mixed drink to a virgin one.  

I will check in later.  

Reading this thread: